2001 Cobra

~crash

Established Member
So I'm browsing craigslist like always and I come across a 2001 Cobra for 10,500 with 69k miles on it. I have a 2001 Bullitt and I was wondering what the power difference would be like. I have 3.73's and that's it for performance. i know the 1999's had a recall and they fixed the problems but I've heard that the 2001 Cobras were making less power than the advertised 320bhp. Is this true? Can you 2001 Cobra guys chime in about your cars?

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Not sure where you heard about the 01s having power issues ?? Generally speaking, the '01s dyno'ed consistently indicating a 320 flywheel hp rating (read: ~15% drivetrain losses based on the 320 number, normally accepted powertrain loss for bench/dyno racing,etc). The '99s, as you indicated, were the ones that suffered from the hp recall (aka: "the fix") - and those were just fine, powerwise, after "the fix."

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Having owned 99/01 Cobras for years, I wouldn't get rid of an 01 Bullit to get an 01 Cobra. There are some differences yes, but not enough to sway me away from a Bullit.

And no, the 01s did not have any power issues. Cobra90GT stated the situation above.

-Kevin

~crash

Established Member
^ Why wouldn't it sway you?
I hate the fact knowing that a 2v does not responds to mods as well as a 4v, which is why I'm kinda leaning on this deal. Things would need to happen, like me selling my car and then swinging for this one.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
What are your plans for the car? Are you going to do anything that warrants having an IRS and a 4v? Road Course? Drag Strip? Weekend cruiser? Daily driver?

My point is, if you want more power, just put a ProCharger or Vortech on the Bullit. Yes the Cobra has 55hp more, but the torque is closer. In everyday driving (especially with that 3.73 versus the stock 3.27 of the Cobra), you won't notice the extra 55hp. Unless you plan on doing a bunch of stuff to the Cobra.

But why trade in a car that has lower production numbers for a car with higher production numbers when you aren't getting it for a specific reason?
Side Note: Yes, I did this. I sold my 99 black on black Cobra for a higher production volume 03 Torch Red Z06. But I did it for a specific reason. The 99 Cobra and the Z06 are my road course toys and the Z06 is a better tool for the hobby.

Besides... I just like the Bullits, LOL. There are less of them (in general) on the road. More of a "Hey, that is a Bullit!" when I see one one the road. With seeing 94/95, 96-98, 99/01, and 03/04 Cobras all the time, it is nice to see a different Mustang on occassion.

My .02.

-Kevin

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
55 hp would be enough for me. Having owned both, the 4v is much more of a performance engine from the factory. Plus it has much more of a coolness factor. That said everything except the Terminator and GT500 is going to seem kinda obsolete when the Coyote comes out.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
having driven both cars, its all preference. I like the bulit better and gt for the matter. I like where the power is at. The 99-01's are a little sluggish down low for a street cruiser imo. They do prevail when you are peddle to the floor drag racing. Thats not what i do though. Not a hater of 99-01 cobras so dont take my statements as an assault. Its personal preference. My comparison is stock for stock. Of course you can do gears or a bunch of mods to any car to get it to your liking so lets not go there

Carbon Driven

Established Member
If you are looking for collectability then stay with teh Bullit. If you dont care and want power then go with teh Cobra. Bullits had 275hp (I think) stock and Cobras had 320hp stock. 45 more hp and 4v too.

You could always buy a complete terminator motor for like 5K and swap the motors. Keep your original in casae you want to sell the car later. Having hte og motor could get you a better price.

~crash

Established Member
Being a student still, I really don't auto cross drag or track my Bullitt, although when I am done with school, tracking will be part of my hobbies. I guess I kinda answered my own question. The rare factor is true on my car and not many ppl know what a Bullitt is, which I like. I dunno, I can never settle on what my plans truly are. I'm always wanting to S/C or do more exterior, or cam my car. Thanks guys for the input though. I'm still going to test drive the car and see what I get out of the experience.

~crash

Established Member
If you are looking for collectability then stay with teh Bullit. If you dont care and want power then go with teh Cobra. Bullits had 275hp (I think) stock and Cobras had 320hp stock. 45 more hp and 4v

You could always buy a complete terminator motor for like 5K and swap the motors.You could always buy a complete terminator motor for like 5K and swap the motors. Keep your original in casae you want to sell the car later. Having hte og motor could get you a better price.

Won't swapping motors violate smog laws in CA? Or swapping to a newer motor legal? I kinda don't care about smog laws any ways but I kinda do. I know, confusing as hell.

Carbon Driven

Established Member
I believe swapping in a newer motor is legal. Have a friend with an 04 GT that didnt swap an 03 termi motor deal cause of that issue.

Yup, no one really cares about passing smogg that owns any modified stang! :)

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I think Cobras look a lot better than Bullits too. It's more of a "hey look a Cobra just drove by" instead of "Hey look..a de-winged GT, sweet! Or wait, is it a bullitt? Idk"

boduke0220

Established Member
I love bullitts but the responsivness of the 4v is awesome, with full bolt ons you can get what? 340rwhp ish? thats 60 more than the 2v. add cams and a PSR and you have a VERY good running car.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Cobra will always grab more attention than a Bullit if you care about that. I wouldn't trade my 01 for a bullit, but if I had a bullit I wouldn't trade for a Cobra either. Just personal preference really. I've owned my 01 since 03 and am very happy with it.

~crash

Established Member
I think Cobras look a lot better than Bullits too. It's more of a "hey look a Cobra just drove by" instead of "Hey look..a de-winged GT, sweet! Or wait, is it a bullitt? Idk"

I disagree cuz there are some subtle lines that make the Bullitt look better. I think it's more of the "ooh" factor knowing that there is a Cobra. When I pass people its like, wait, what's a Bullitt? lol
I just wish this fffing 2v would respond better for my future mods!!!! :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread