2001 cobra vs mazda3 turbo

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
on my way home tonight a red mazda wagon pulls up next to me with a bov and starts eye ballin my car. I glance back and know this guy wants to run so i get to my favorite part on the stretch of road were on and drop the cobra into second at about 40. I honk it off and he gets the jump then i granny shift third letting him pull 1 1/2 car lenghts then we had to slow. im like no way am i gonna let this guy go home thinkin he just beat me. So i pull back up and do the samething we both leave at the same time i hit third this time chirpin the tires. At that point his fender is at my door and i really start to pull away. The guy was pretty cool he asked what i had done and I told him exhaust, intake and gears. He had exhaust and intake done. I was pretty surprised how quick those mazdaspeeds are.Anyways I was just excited to run my car cause I dont do it often.:rockon:

Last edited:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Nice dude! I wish you got to run that new Camaro the day I saw you at Southern Ag. My swap is almost finished and i'll post some pics for ya. :beer:

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
sweet bro i cant wait to see that setup in person im so jealous your gonna have a termi motor. I've been lookin for that kid with that new ss so we can race and not have traffic everywhere but no luck so far. I think i can get him if we race from a dig the new ss is a boat.

JDrake

Established Member
OP, do you have LTs? Jw cuz there is a guy that basically lives at my work w/ an intake exhaust MS3 and hes been itchin to run me.

res0n0xg

Established Member
they are high 13/bottom 14 cars when driven well. they make good power but in fwd mode slow off the get go. from a roll i'd think it hang pretty well

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
JDrake I dont have LT's yet. I have offroad h-pipe w/ bassani exhaust. how do you like your LT's? That is gonna be my next mod.Do you have gears? If you race that MS3 race him from a dig.It will be lights out before he even thinks about shiftin.

Last edited:

JDrake

Established Member
JDrake I dont have LT's yet. I have offroad h-pipe w/ bassani exhaust. how do you like your LT's? That is gonna be my next mod.Do you have gears? If you race that MS3 race him from a dig.It will be lights out before he even thinks about shiftin.

I love my Lts, easily the best mod i have done. i put down 330rwhp w/ just Lts, o/r prochamber weld in flows and jlt cai. the lts give you that extra umph, i ran door to door last week w/ a 2000 SS with ls6 intake, lid, lts, o/r exhaust, and 3.73s, thats what you have to look forward too. Myself and Un4givn on svtp put them on w/ jackstands, the install sucked but the ends justify the means for sure.i have stock gears btw.

Chris01Bullitt

Established Member
OP, do you have LTs? Jw cuz there is a guy that basically lives at my work w/ an intake exhaust MS3 and hes been itchin to run me.

Just run him, I got beat by a Mazdaspeed 3 in my 01 Bullitt on the highway 30-130, he didn't start to pull me till around 110mph, but on the street he couldn't keep up at all.

BTW Good kill OP

:beer:

snkebit

ITS A COBRA not a stang
Established Member
Alrite I am definetely getting LT's then. I just need to find a way to convince the wife to let me spend the money since I just paid to get the car out of the bodyshop. JDrake also go with the 4.10's or better I have 3.73's and don't really like them. Of course they were already installed when I bought the car so I can't complain to much.

Last edited:

JDrake

Established Member
Alrite I am definetely getting LT's then. I just need to find a way to convince the wife to let me spend the money since I just paid to get the car out of the bodyshop. JDrake also go with the 4.10's or better I have 3.73's and don't really like them. Of course they were already installed when I bought the car so I can't complain to much.

My next mod will be 4.10s for sure. I just hope that I will be able to hook up at the track.

ralvarez

Established Member
raced a mazdaspeed3 at the track when i was basically stock (o/r x-pipe w/ flowmaster and cai) i ran a 14.2 he ran a 14.0 and he was running high boost (stock turbo) and some other minor stuff (cant remember what, this was last year) they can be pretty quick cars

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
just sold my 08 speed3 and for a little 4 banger and a few breathing mods they wake up pretty good. but the disi (direct inject spark inject) "kinda like a diesel the way the fuel is sprayed in" motor has some issues, and a lot were popping their motors (hole through the block) but off the line not so great, but in a roll race it screwed (governed at max 155mph)

no real tuning support or big companies investing to make real parts for it, even slapping on a bigger turbo the most people could do was 350whp, the highest was on a forged motor with a zex spray and made 430ish. that same "bigger" turbo on a neon would make 500. very frustrating... definitely a sleeper wagon, and would piss a few people off hanging with them :)

sold it and hope to be picking up my 03 cobra this week

Last edited:

02GTP

Banned
i raced one when my GT was stock and all he had was an intake and that was a race. in got him by a half car maybe. im sure with exhaust and a tune that little thing would have moved out far better. im impressed by them.

01svtdude

what is traction
Established Member
we have a speed3 on our local forum and we call him the termy slayer since he had so many bogus storys about killing 03 cobras with his stock speed3. everyone bashed the dude on our forum that he left for a few months

Users who are viewing this thread