2001 Cobra vs Audi A4 1.8T

slowsvtfornow

Looks good but slow
Established Member
Well I was on my way home after running some errands heading south bound on I-25 when I come up on this black A4. I pass him and get onto I-40 west bound and see him trying to catch up to me I am in the inside lane. He pulls up next to me and punches it so I drop into 3rd and give it hell I stop his pull and start to put some car lengths on him when it was all said and done I had5-6 cars before I shut it down. I then moved over one lane and he gets next to me and hits it one more time but I did not due to a cop being 2 cars in front of us.:rockon:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Those cars are slow as hell. My budy had a 98 1.8t auto I believe and with a head start I would put bus lengths on him in my stock GT.

Nice kill either way.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
I had the 1.8t tip shift....what a pig. My cousins mazda 6 gave me an old fashioned country ass whooping

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The audi must be heavier, my ex had a 1.8t jetta (almost same car I believe) and that thing would scoot out. Was geared for lower speeds, like 20-70 it would feel very strong but if you were expecting it to do much past 80 it would hit a brick wall.

Kiohtee

Established Member
The audi must be heavier...

I didn't even think that was a question. :poke:

I've drove two 1.8T Jetta's and one 2.8 V6. None of them impressed me, then again I'm not the kind to block out everything I've drove to make a non-biased opinion.

My fiance's 2.0 N/A Jetta is the slowest thing I've ever drove, my Civic included. :lol:

2K1 SVT

Established Member
My mom drives one, they are slower than molasses without mods, I'm sure that a tune would really wake them up though.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I think everyone here is forgetting that they can be modded just like any other turbo car. I imagine it would have to be modded to stay within 6 car lengths of an 01 Cobra. If it were stock I'd imagine it would be 6 bus lengths instead.

slowsvtfornow

Looks good but slow
Established Member
I think everyone here is forgetting that they can be modded just like any other turbo car. I imagine it would have to be modded to stay within 6 car lengths of an 01 Cobra. If it were stock I'd imagine it would be 6 bus lengths instead.

His car was stock I only put 5-6 cars on him because I was pulling hard and shut it down early. As for my car it is stock but I do have a cat back.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
You're giving me flashbacks. Years ago when I had my 99 Cobra there was a slammed black a4 in my home town. It was ungodly loud, just a straight pipe for exhaust, and big banner sticker across the front windshield that said Street Trendz or something lame like that. He was tailgating me badly one night for miles but I was already going 60 in a 45 so when he went to pass me so I hit second and ended that. He tried to pass me again, same deal. I saw that car around for 2 years after that, and every time I came up behind him I would ride his ass for a little bit and then blow by. It was limo tinted so I have no idea what reaction it was getting.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Yeah those vw/audi turbo cars arent as easy to mod as youd think compared to say an Evo/srt4/wrx/sti. I browse vwvortex for repair tips (will be doing timing belt on ex's car shortly) and holy shit those cars sound like a bitch to mod and the gains arent even that great and they can take a huge hit in reliability once you start messing with shit. The stock turbo and even non-$$$ upgraded ones cant flow for shit. A 16g comparable turbo to them is a major turbo upgrade (stock turbo on an Evo). Whens the last time you saw a youtube vid of a gt35r GTi or hx40 jetta?

BlackedSVT

Established Member
I had an 05 Jetta GLI, and I could give people fits in that car. but regular Jettas/A4s couldn't come close to me. Far as I know mine was stock also.

last model GLIs are fun little cars if anyone is looking for a DD.

good kill!

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
2001 Cobras aren't exactly God's gift to speed either though, believe me I own one. But good job bringing home the win and not getting a ticket!

And to the guy with a V6 swapped 2001 Cobra - smh:nono:

Last edited:

Established Member
Somewhere I heard that B7 A4s gain 70ftlbs with just an APR Stage 1 tune. The gains throughout the rpm range are pretty impressive.

Still don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread