2001 Cobra R sighting!

'00 R

One of the benefits of living in Dearborn is you get to see all kinds of factory test cars around town. Today, I was driving behind a new silver mustang that sounded great. As I pulled up next to it, to get a closer look, the first thing I see is our gills sticking up from the powerdome hood. I caught the driver's attention and asked him where he got the R hood? He said that it was an R! I preceded to tell him that I know R's, I have an R, and that ain't an R! :) To my dismay he confirmed that yes it was an R and it belonged to Ford Motor Company. We slowed down as we were talking and I gave it a quick inspection, before he downshifted and disappeared. (I was in my Truck, dammit)
It had one 3" exhaust pipe on each side, R rims, R unmistakable stance, guage set that looked like ours, and a manufacturer plate!
I thought to myself what a wonderful job that guy had! Probably works for SVE, gets to drive all kinds of test cars and today got to drive a factory 2001 Cobra R.
Reminds me of another friend that drove a factory 2000 Cobra. Ford didn't sell any of those to the public, but that doesn't always mean they didn't make 'em!
Max

Cobra-R

Established Member
There has been no talk that I have heard of about a 01 or even a 02 Cobra R. Anybody else heard any different?

Brian

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Geez,I hope they take a break for a few years. Don't need them every year,,or every other!

kevin

my bet is a custom job by an insider (at best). i saw no mention of a wing of any kind. some folks now offer copies of the hoods and guages (could it be people are faking an r already- surely not). what has the world come to?

kevin.#22,#41,#80

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
lightning motor in the cobra......BAD ASS! don't see it happening tho. if they could only get a decent looking hood on that thing (the "one-off"). :D

'00 R

It was not more testing of the Bugatti Blue Cobra Jet, I parked next to that last year. In person, that is one hell of a car! The car I saw was a one off factory test car, for sure!

Brian,
Rumor Mill:
The last insider I spoke with confirmed that the next R is in the works for the second or third year with the new body style. They just pushed the launch date back, so we are talking '05 or '06 at the earliest.
They want to work with the new 'Stang platform for a while before they make another R.

Max

scjmach1

Established Member
There was one silver prototype for the R built before the regular production cars. It had the R drivetrain, wheels and hood but no wing. It was a test mule for Ford. I think there was a picture of it in one of the Mustang magazines several months back.
I am sure I have the magazine at home but I don't remember which one or month it was in.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by scjmach1
There was one silver prototype for the R built before the regular production cars. It had the R drivetrain, wheels and hood but no wing. It was a test mule for Ford. I think there was a picture of it in one of the Mustang magazines several months back.
I am sure I have the magazine at home but I don't remember which one or month it was in.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember something about that also. Don't remember the specifics, but saw it in an article about the development of the R. Does that sound like what you are talking about?

scjmach1

Established Member
I have also seen a white Cobra with the R-model hood, wing and splitter in Sterling Heights. If I remember correctly it has "SVT-R" in white letters on the windshield. I think it is a regular Cobra with R-model parts on it.

Cobra-R

Established Member
That guy emailed me once, If I remember right he had some inside connection that got him the parts. I actually thought the car looked real good.

Brian

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
I guess you guys are talking about this guy.

chrisRs1.jpg

Nice looking car to bad it doesn't have what you guys have under the hood.. a white Cobra doesn't look to bad with almost all the Cobra R stuff.

JKCOBRA98

my99svt

um, yeah
Established Member
That looks like the car my buddy that works for Ford Mustang development told me about. He says that some of the R stuff mysteriously walked away from Ford sometime last year. 6 monthes later this white R showed up on the scene. He works at Ford as well. This is the info I received about this particular car.

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
That picture came from mustangworld.com

I would assume that this is the car that the misplaced R parts went to. And this person said they do have someone inside SVT that he got the parts from. I beleive that this person even said he works for Ford as well.

JKCOBRA98

scjmach1

Established Member
I met the owner at one of our local chapter SVTOA club meetings in Sterling Heights. He drove the car there. I got to look it over very close but I forget his name. The car does look good.

Wildpony

Established Member
Originally posted by HAMMRHEAD
Geez,I hope they take a break for a few years. Don't need them every year,,or every other!

Yeah but I doubt someone is going to Fake a Manuf. Liscense Plate. Besides these guys have had cars running around with the 5.4R engine in some form for the last couple years for testing purposes. An engineer from SVT when asked last year wouldn't deny that they had a couple blower 5.4 R engine cars running around.Too bad they don't bring that one out for those that can bid the price up and then look at it in a garage for 20 years. At least you guys drive yours..

Users who are viewing this thread