2001 Cobra owners with aftermarket radio + Mach 460...

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Just installed mine and I get an amp pop when powering on the unit. I read a Stangnet.com 'how-to' on wiring everything and they mentioned the issue stating a 1k resister would fix it.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to fix it?
I'm sure the problem varies due to hardware differences in stereos...

*EDIT*

Figured it out. I followed the Stangnet article to a 'T' when I should have wired my 'amp on' to the 'remote on', on the Alpine harness. Works like a champ now...

Last edited:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I'm not sure which point you want to start at so I'll go from the beginning:

I purchased a Metra '2001 Ford Mach 460' harness and soldered that into the factory Alpine harness that came with the head unit. Both used industry standard color codes to distinguish each wire function so it was really easy. The only issue is that the Alpine had a super dark violet, almost black wire and the Metra had a light violet wire. Took me a sec to figure it out but I got those matched-up.
The mistake I made was wiring the AMP-ON leads to the POWER ON lead. The issue is that the head unit and amps power on at the same time when the amps should be delayed slightly. Also, the POWER ON lead sends 12v when the amps only need 5v. Luckily the Alpine harness has a REMOTE ON lead that specifically turns on amps. I figured that out real quick, rewired, and I'm working like a champ.

The Metra harness allows you to plug directly into the Mach 460's harness without any modification to it.

I hope that answers your question. Let me know if it doesn't...

01yellercobra

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
cool. Now I need to find out if my deck can remote turn on amps...

I think pretty much all aftermarket head units have a remote turn on. Some of them might be labeled for the power antenna, but it's the same thing. I can't remember the number for the harness though.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes, that's the one I was talking about. I used it and I don't have any popping and the speakers sound good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread