2001 cobra oil leak help!!

Lowride150

Established Member
So the other day I took my cobra to get dyno and after doing 3 pulls we noticed something dripping and seen it was oil. So I got it home and at the back of the oil pan where it mets the transmission I found a drop of oil on the back 4 pan bolts. I whipped everything down and went for a drive and when I parked I noticed one little drop on the drive way so I went for another drive and parked it and nothing. Not sure what it could be or why it would leak then stop. I never noticed any leaks until we dyno it. Car has rebuilt motor, JLT cai, slp exhaust, and was told it had headers and had been tuned and come to find out it had neither of those. Car needs tuned bad. It put down 280 rwhp and 290 tq. But any idea where this oil came from?

Lowride150

Established Member
Yea I tightened the back ones but they weren't really lose. But I didn't notice anymore oil after a 15mile drive after I did that. I tried to check back valve cover but didn't really see anything that looked wet up there. I'm gonna crawl back under it today but was wondering what everyone else's opinion on what it might be. Like I said the only spots I really found oil drops was on the two back bolt heads between pan and the tranny and then the next bolt each direction so back corner pan bolts had drop on them waiting to fall as well. I've never noticed a leak though until doing those dyno pulls

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hopefully whoever assembled the engine used RTV between the block and the plate for the rear main seal.

Lowride150

Established Member
Yea I'm hoping i don't have to replace the rear main seal. Got quoted $550 to change it which isn't as bad as I thought but I just got the car and not what I wanted to spend my money on

Users who are viewing this thread