2001 Cobra Firewall Heater Hose Leak

Seth

Established Member
Okay.. So I went to go to lunch with a friend. I noticed the cobra was leaking something. I checked, and it was the anti-freeze. I went to the store, after we ate (we went in his truck), and I got some antifreeze to fill up the antifreeze reservoir. I was driving back home and before long the temperature gauge was red lined. It appears that I only need to change the part in the picture. This is the first "issue" I have ever had with my car.

lwPlHcN.jpg

tPqnWtF.jpg

It is leaking from the left hose. The one that in pointing at with the flashlight.

So what exactly is the part that I need to fix it? A universal hose? Also, will I have to drain the system of antifreeze before I change it?

Thanks in advance.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'm not sure you can use a universal hose w/the type of end(s) the hose has plus the bends it has for such a short hose. I recommend checking for the bolt that sticks out of the firewall and shortening it some. I'm not sure why it's so long but I've heard it has caused a lot of leaks.

You don't have to drain the system completely to change the hose. I'd just take enough out of the petcock on the radiator to not make a mess when you pull the hose off. When you refill your system make sure you follow the correct procedure. A quick search should give you a lot of info. I had my front end on ramps and filled from the coolant crossover w/a funnel shoved in it. I always had a little coolant in the funnel. Get the temp high enough for the thermostat to open and it should burp the system properly. Top off w/coolant as needed (no air gap should be in the coolant crossover) before you put the coolant crossover cap back on.

pdm

Established Member
You can use a hack saw/cutoff wheel/dremel to remove that crimped on collar (the silver piece) from the disconnect elbow and just replace the hose. If you need a new elbow, they are not cheap: XC2Z-18B402-BA (KT-90) from Tasca or Rock Auto.

The Napa 11729 hose mentioned above fits a 99 cobra or a 01 without the disconnect elbow. You should be able to cut the Napa hose to fit the elbow for a much cleaner install.

As already mentioned, cut that stupid long sheet metal screw sticking out of the firewall!!

Seth

Established Member
After 3-1/2 days. I finally got her fixed. I ended up having to rig something up myself. I bought a 1" brass hose connector (coupling), two clamps, and a 1" piece of hose. I then stuck one side of the coupling into the OEM hose and clamped it down. I proceeded to do the same to the other side with a new hose that was cut to length. Then I just shoved it back on the spout and clamped that down. Filled the car back up with antifreeze.. Runs like a charm now.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Did you trim down that stud sticking out of the firewall while you were working in the area?

Users who are viewing this thread