2001 Cobra Engine Removal From the Top

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Hey everyone! Been lurking in here for about 3 years now. I finally bought a car, a clean 2001 cobra I payed 2700 for with a locked up motor. I've never done a write up before, so bear with me if I make a few grammatical errors or technological ones, but I can't seem to find a good write up for taking the motor out of the top. I'm going to try and keep updating this thread and taking pictures as I go.

Basic things to do at first:
Disconnect Battery
Drain Oil, Coolant
Pull Wiring Harness
Remove Intake Piping
Remove Midpipe
I pulled off the starter trying to get more clearance. Not sure if required. You'll probably need a swivel.
I removed my transmission, not sure if its required but with as wide as this thing is I'm going to try and make it easier on myself pulling it.
I removed my intake manifold to put the tool in the valley to pull the motor
Up Until this point I haven't really been taking many picture as this is common knowledge stuff. Expect pictures as I get more involved in pulling.
Any questions or suggestions feel free to post up! Thanks.
-Cole

pdm

Established Member
A few will disagree with me but pulling out the top sucks (and putting it back sucks worse). I've pulled mine out just about every way possible, and the easiest way regardless of your available tools is out the bottom. Google this and you will find all you need to know. "site:svtperformance.com engine out bottom"

pdm

Established Member
One thing to watch out for is the body screws sticking out of the firewall. They can tear the heater hoses at the back of pass side head.

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Yeah, I definitely know it's not the easiest way. But I really want to give people who don't have a lift another option, or just let them know what they are getting into. I've got two people helping me that have pulled them so I'm confident it'll get in and out. There just isn't much info for pulling them available and I want to change that.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
I have pulled mine out the top twice in my cobra and once in my foxbody with the transmission attached without any real issues to note. The biggest thing is to make sure you have a set of eyes to make sure nothing hangs on the firewall screws or hits the brake booster on the way out.

I mostly do it out the top because I hate dealing with alignment shops because of my full UPR front suspension.

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
I hate to turn this into a question thread as I'm trying to make a write up but do the manifolds need to be removed or can they stay on?

98_Undertaker

Established Member
Pulled my brothers motor out the top in his 97 Cobra and it's a major pain but with no lift it's the only option

98BABCobra

Established Member
I pulled the engine out of my 98 Cobra with long tube headers and transmission attached out the top. It was tight, but doable. Definitely easier with two people.

Some other things you'll need to disconnect are the power steering pump and the A/C compressor. Make sure you double and triple check that you have disconnected all wiring connections. Having to re-wire something because it got yanked out with the engine would not be any fun. The main thing is to take your time. If you try to rush it that's when something ends up getting broken.

Martin6107

Established Member
I've pulled a couple v8/transmission combinations on SN95s out the top. A load leveler makes it very simple work. Like 98BABCobra said .. take your time.

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Update: removed coolant tank, powersteering, and started unplugging everything. Tomorrow going to try and purge the ac system and remove the lines. With everything unplugged and out of the way it really doesn't look too bad to get out, especially with the transmission removed. I've got the ford tool that sits in the valley to pull the motor with. Picking up an engine crane and engine stand tomorrow as well, plan on having the motor out by Saturday morning.

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
i6fupw.jpg
Here's my attempt to upload a pic

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
why are you purging the AC? you can leave all of that hooked up and just unbolt the compressor, then zip tie it to the frame rail.

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Haven't made much progress on the car, working before and after school takes up a lot of time. I'm hopefully pulling the motor tomorrow. I figured I'd post up a few pics of the car though! Not bad for $2700
2n0o61f.jpg
ineik2.jpg
sct16v.jpg

Last edited:

ImRambo

Established Member
I forgot to remove the heater core hoses before and ripped them off lol. I think removing the tranny with it is much easier just because getting to the top tranny bolts are a PITA. The top 02s are both green so when you install motor again make sure they go to the correct sides of tranny. It took me a month to figure out why it wouldnt run right.

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Yep got the heater core hoses removed and the motor pulled on Friday night. Didn't snag as many pics as I wanted. Here's what I have though

29cuyc3.jpg
Here's the motor ready to pull with the puller inside the valley

2lbdmaq.jpg
Gotta have a few guys to help you out

262slk9.jpg
Motor on its way out

t8b41i.jpg
Me with my motor out!

2whjj1s.jpg
Well found why it locked up...

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Pulling the rad would've given you a little more room. I think the reason a lot of guys like to drop it out the bottom is that it all stays in 1 piece and you can access all the accessories more easily when it's all sitting in front of you. It just depends on the individual.
Time for a stroker crank I see

or.. check with Phoenix Performance in Penn, I think they may have some Coyotes out of the race car lying around.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread