2001 Cobra Convertible Questions!

01LazerRedCobra

Established Member
Hello, I recently became the owner of a 2001 Cobra Convertible with 74k miles! It has been put up for awhile so I am having to get everything in tip top shape. The engine is running car drives and everything, however there are a few things that catch my eye and I was wanting to ask the masses.

1) Pressing the clutch in (when it finally would catch so you can change gears) makes a pretty loud sound sort of a loud whine or tinging and goes away when you let off the clutch.

2) When driving down the road something in the rear end seams to be making a weird noise like something is going around, when you get to about 55 or 60 the car seems to randomly pull toward the right, I feel like this has something to do with the noise coming from the back right (passengers side) I have checked the tire and had them aligned.

3) Last one is a little strange, when I crank and am sitting in neutral 3 gauges come on as usual, but the RPM Gauge and lcd that shows the mileage take a solid 2 minutes to show after the crank. I just find this odd.

I have replaced bad battery terminals, the top works fine. I have currently parked the car (not had it long) and I want to get these issues taken care of before I continue to drive it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
#1 sounds like a TOB. While you've got the tranny dropped to replace the TOB, may as well go for a new clutch, PP, pilot bearing, and check the pivot ball and clutch fork too.

#2 sounds like something w/the IRS: Cradle bushings, control arm bushings, spindle issue. I would have thought getting an alignment would have found the issue but not every alignment tech knows a lot about an IRS. There's a lot of info on the IRS in the sticky section. FTBR can set you up w/a very nice mount/bushing upgrade.

#3 -- does the tach "sweep" when it finally does start working? Sounds like a grounding issue w/in the cluster since all the other gauges start working. It's not that hard to take the cluster apart and check for corrosion or similar. Sometimes just moving stuff around can improve connections.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to SVTP. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. And you'll need to get some pics of your car to post on here!

01LazerRedCobra

Established Member
I do appreciate the reply.

#1 This noise actually stopped the next day, the car has sat for awhile and just now getting driven by me, no noise at all and no problems, so if it starts back up I am getting a new clutch kit.

#2 Getting this checked out tomorrow in the area, I have been looking at the FTBR site, I am just not exactly sure what I need or want? May need to check out the sticky

#3 This one is a little weird, it stopped, but then I plugged my fuse for my radio in and it caused it to happen again. I believe the radio has a short causing other issues. Undid the radio fuse, works fine for the most part.

I just noticed you were from Decatur, Not far from ya myself, (Russellville, Florence Area).

Users who are viewing this thread