2001-2006 Mazda Tribute A/C Compressor Question.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
My ex wife has a 2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6, and her a/c compressor was making noise, so I told her it was going out. She took it to a shade tree mechanic, and they told her, that she would not be able to drive it, or she would risk breaking the belt. My question is this true? This is her only means of transportation, and that means if a emergency comes up she could not tend to my son. I always though all a/c compressors, were two piece clutch and a pulley that turned freely regardless of it is locked up or not. She is broke, and can't fix it. I do not know anything about side ways engines so I could very well be wrong. Does anyone know anything about them? I could really use the help. Google had nothing for me.

Sage2k

Established Member
My ex wife has a 2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6, and her a/c compressor was making noise, so I told her it was going out. She took it to a shade tree mechanic, and they told her, that she would not be able to drive it, or she would risk breaking the belt. My question is this true? This is her only means of transportation, and that means if a emergency comes up she could not tend to my son. I always though all a/c compressors, were two piece clutch and a pulley that turned freely regardless of it is locked up or not. She is broke, and can't fix it. I do not know anything about side ways engines so I could very well be wrong. Does anyone know anything about them? I could really use the help. Google had nothing for me.

I had my A/C clutch lock up in my old 94 mustang and it shredded the belt.

On my mazda 3, the A/C Belt is on its own pulley so if its similar on her tribute, you might be able to cut just the a/c belt and still drive fine

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
It is possible it can lock up and shred the belt.

But it wouldnt affect the car if the AC uses its own belt. If that is the case remove the belt before it shreds, as it exploding could take out the other belt.

Users who are viewing this thread