2000 R race video

TimB

Established Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbReu8TRWeA

Portland 06 , problems in qualifing ended up further back on grid , finished 7th , I am usually faster than the Porsche gt3 cup cars but I had cracked my front wheels in practice and damaged my good front tires. Had to run older fronts in the race and they went off very quickly. Cracked another set of wheel centers in the race.A 2500lb 750hp super production Monte Carlo won, a 810 hp Viper Comp Coupe was 2nd and a Porsche 962 was 3rd.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Very nice Tim! :beer:

Can you tell us a little about your car? Weight, suspension, brakes, gears, engine mods etc.

Thanks for sharing!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

TimB

Established Member
I was running 3.73 gears , car weighed then about 3100w/o driver ,koni da coilovers ,all monoball custom control arms, stoptech 14" frt and 13" rear brakes , 18"x11" ccw wheels 305's and 325 Pirellis ,engine had JE pistons with custom longtube headers ,90mm maf and diablosport tune. The t56 has G-force internals with close ratio 5th and 6th gears .I now run 325 Pirellis front and rear which made a big difference on turn in. I broke a piston at Pacific raceways in May so the car now has all aluminum dry sumped motor .

Tim

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I was running 3.73 gears , car weighed then about 3100w/o driver ,koni da coilovers ,all monoball custom control arms, stoptech 14" frt and 13" rear brakes , 18"x11" ccw wheels 305's and 325 Pirellis ,engine had JE pistons with custom longtube headers ,90mm maf and diablosport tune. The t56 has G-force internals with close ratio 5th and 6th gears .I now run 325 Pirellis front and rear which made a big difference on turn in. I broke a piston at Pacific raceways in May so the car now has all aluminum dry sumped motor .

Tim

Tim:

Awesome stuff! :-D Three questions for you:

#1 What 13" rear brake set-up are you running?
#2 Who did your headers
#3 Who's K-member are you running:

The reason I ask is I'd like to go to long tubes but nobody makes a 5.4 SN-95 long tube. :(

Thanks!

Bruce

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

TimB

Established Member
I running a stoptech 13" rear system , we custom made the caliper brackets and Steve Ruis at stoptech calculated piston and master cylinder sizes to work with their 14" front system. I running a modified Kenny Brown k-member with headers originally made by Neil in New Zealand and finished by Specialty Engineering here in vancouver.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbReu8TRWeA

Portland 06 , problems in qualifing ended up further back on grid , finished 7th , I am usually faster than the Porsche gt3 cup cars but I had cracked my front wheels in practice and damaged my good front tires. Had to run older fronts in the race and they went off very quickly. Cracked another set of wheel centers in the race.A 2500lb 750hp super production Monte Carlo won, a 810 hp Viper Comp Coupe was 2nd and a Porsche 962 was 3rd.

Thank you for the link!!

COOL!!!

R

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Good to hear from you Tim, but I gotta let you know you are hurting me. Watching your 00R racing when I can't go to the track until spring is torture :whine: I'll probably have to dig out my videos next time my wife is gone!

Just kidding! Great to see you nose to tail with the GT3. There were a couple of places you were clearly faster than him (and better under braking). It looks like his car did better in the quick transitions (especially the one after the front straight. Then again I suspect the weight and distribution in his car were better, so not surprising. Your car looks great and sounds strong. About your broken piston - was it a stock one or a special order one? I changed pistons 2 years ago but one broke this fall and cracked a cylinder. It's now getting a new block and pistons.

BTW, who ran that race? SCCA? NASA? Hearing you mention that a 2500# 700hp car won reminds me of my having to run against Griswold (who won the NASA AIX championship).

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Not to be out done by time I'd like to present a little video from my first 24hr race......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDAMnImk_D4

You better not laugh! We finished 6th out of 42 cars!

P.S. I'm sure you know the GT3 pilot but it seems that he is driving corner to corner while your driving FOR the next corner. Watching the two styles of driving is interesting as each style seems to have it's benefit depending on which corner you watch.

Smooth driving!

Is that the 9000RPM dry sump motor of the 7000 rpm "stockish" motor?

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not to be out done by time I'd like to present a little video from my first 24hr race......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDAMnImk_D4

That looked like fun, especially when the final condition of the car was not of major concern. <<<That is when the "best" fun can be had. It reminded me of Sebring when people cut the roofs off and gut the cars for the weekend cruise through the spectator area, at the end of the weekend the car is left, a burned out shell.

I hadn't heard Immigrant Song in a while, <<Cool!!

R

ponyracer

Established Member
Thanks for the Video I couldnt make it to see that race. I'd like to get involved somehow someday

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Those cars couldn't possibly have run for 24 hours!?! :dw:

Ha ha! After seeing what happened at the 1:35 point of the video, I don't feel so bad about the cluster**** NASA event this past August! :fart:

TimB

Established Member
Fred , I broke the skirt on a JE piston and also cracked the block. Mark that was from last year so it was the near stock engine. The new motor ran for the first time at the 4HR race at Seattle , had a 4 lap lead with 15 minutes to go and broke a valve spring , DNF. Having some springs made by TSI so hopefully won't have the problem again. Fred it was an SCCA regional race and one of the cars running was the IMSA GTP Wynns Porsche 962 . The car was banned this year because it doesn't conform to the rules for Super Production. I have a really good qualifing video at Portland without the chicane , the long straight suits the car better and the speed into turn one is awesome (165+) , I will try to post it.

Thanks
Tim

Billy Madrid

Established Member
I Personally Like Apexes

Just watched the video and it looks like the GT3 Cup Car, maybe, hits 1 apex a lap and even then from the wrong angle, LOL. It must have the golly gee wizz 440 HP Cup motor in it and a ton less weight. There is no carrying momentum through the corners for that driver. I am just not used to seeing a Porsche square off the corner, loose all momentum to you then pulling away down the straight. I especially like his defensive lines going into Festival.

Tim I think you showed a lot of restraint not laying the chrome horn (well actually the vinyl) on the guy. You know that Dorsey would have.........:kaboom:

Billy

(The Cougar Lover)

Users who are viewing this thread