2000 "R" exhaust question!

SPDFRK

Established Member
Just curious if any of you have changed your exhaust system from the headers-back? Will the BBK long tubes fit on your car? Did you have to get a custom X-pipe or headers to fit the 5.4 and/or because of the T-56 being so much bigger? Also if you have changed your system, what combo and diameter pipe do you have?

Do the headers have the same bolt pattern as an '01 Cobra?

Just trying to find out some info. for when the '03 Cobra comes out, what exhaust changes it might take! :burnout:

Andy M

Established Member
Welcome to the R forum! and I see you are from Houston. There are a few of us from Houston with 2000 R's.

Basically, the 2000 R comes with the 5.4 engine and short tube headers from the factory. It also comes with a Bassani X pipe with the stock 98 Cobra cats on it, and a side exit (both sides) Borla cat back exhaust system with a single resonator and two mufflers.

Several of us (myself included) have replaced everything from the headers back in favor of Bassani's hiflow CAT X pipe (street legal) and the matching hiflow exhaust. It is all stainless and sounds incredible!!!! :rolling: The R now sounds the way it should have when it left Dearborn!

Congrats on your pending purchase of the new Cobra. It will come with the 4.6 engine, so you should have no problem finding ample supply of different exhaust and header systems to fit it.

Good luck and pls post pics of your new ride when you get it?? Will you be in Houston any time soon??? if so, let me know and I will give you a ride in the R some time?...

SPDFRK

Established Member
I wish I was in Houston! I am in the military and will be moving from Columbus, MS to Dayton, OH in less than a month. I miss Baytown and going to all the street scenes. I can't decide on the '03 Cobra or Mach I but for sure it will be a 4-valve! I was just trying to get an idea if I bought an '03 Cobra if the BBK long tubes would fit? I was curious to see if any of you with an "R" had put long tube headers on and if they cleared the T-56? Just thinking of mods I could do for future upgrades.

I would like to take some leave and come down there this summer but I will be in Dallas in June for a wedding. A buddy of mine bought a "Bullet" and wants to take it to the track, see if we can get it in the mid 13's! Thanks for the offer on the "R" if I am in Houston I will be sure an look you up. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread