c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
2013 Year end maintenance. The plugs and filter look practically new

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

Tractionless1

Established Member
Nice work lately between this and the 9 month old E85 testing. Any idea where the info. came from about not using paper filters? I went SS due to the hype. Figured no reason not to and seemed like plenty of chatter against paper.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Nice work lately between this and the 9 month old E85 testing. Any idea where the info. came from about not using paper filters? I went SS due to the hype. Figured no reason not to and seemed like plenty of chatter against paper.

Keith, 04sleeper set this car up with a relocated summitt fuel filter housing and it takes the 10micron paper filter that summitt sells. He started running E85 in 2009. I've now changed the filter 3 times and it has looked perfect every time. Absolutely no deterioration. My opinion is ethanol gets a ton of unwarranted negative information....most of it false. It has not ruined the paper filter or the adhesive that bonds the end caps, the plastic aquarium pump tubing from Walmart I use to fill the tester tube with or the plastic syringe it's connected to, the 5gal plastic containers I use to store it with and I've not experienced any negative effects of storing it for months at a time.

About the only thing I've read on svt of it "ruining" are fuel pumps that are not compatible. Primarily those walbro 400s.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Well, another year, or close to it...I decided to go ahead and change the filter and plugs today. Everything looked new just like the previous changes. So much for ethanol "ruining" and "eating" things. Not pictured...but still using the same "testing" equipment from Wallymart. Looks great.

IMG_1407.JPG

JeremyH

Established Member
The first time I bought pump e85 back then I actually had black sand like particles swirling around in my glass ethanol tester. The standards have gotten better. I have not had any issues since then either. The initial tanks and systems converted for e85 had a lot of gunk that the e85 was absorbing and initially clogging filters and burning up pumps. The cases are few and far between now but were common when everyone first starting switching over. And it was always hit or miss and regional it seems. Some stuff looks new and other guys struggled with black goo. Good e85 burns very clean and actual removes gasoline varnish and carbon. Looks good!

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Here in California there are so few E-85 pumps that I buy it and put it in 5 gallon jugs. Then filter it myself before actually using it.

Never seen crap floating around in the tester but I don't test at the pump. Since I am going to buy it anyway I test it at home after I unload it from the back of the Explorer.

But your plugs and filter look absolutely spotless. That's news I love to see.

Users who are viewing this thread