2000 GT 5.4 swap tuning question

Hammerback

I recently purchased a 2000 Mustang GT that has a 5.4 swap out of a 2001 Harley Davidson edition F150. The previous owner done the swap, and I found a dash plaque in the car that says the car has a Bama tune. So I called Bama with the customer ID listed on the plaque, they said its a tune for the original 4.6. They said they don't have tunes available fof the 4.6/5.4 swap for a mustang at this point in time. The wiring harness all appears to be the factory harness that came in the car with the original 4.6. Anyone have any suggestions as far as a tune for this car? It's a NA engine, no blower. From what Ive learned about this setup, the 2 valve 5.4 isnt dependable in high horsepower applications, around 450/500 is the max. The tune in the car seems way to rich, it almost floods itself on idle, and Is barely getting 10 mpg. Any ideas on upper/lower intakes? Any info on pulling more HP from this engine would be appreciated, or do I just sell it, and start over? Sorry for rambling. Thanks in advance..

cj428mach

Established Member
Is it a stock F150 engine then? if so it should be a very easy tune. Id get with someone like Malcolmv8 or 04sleeper and see if they can do a remote tune for you. It should be very simple if its a box stock 5.4.

That doesn't say much for Bama if they tell you that they can't tune a 5.4. You change the displacement in the tune and thats it, everything else is the same.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Sounds like there's something wrong with it.. do you have any check Engine light/fault codes? I would swap to the 4.6 intake mani with adapters if it still has the Truck manifold on it. Would also find out which maf it has on it. If the Truck maf is on it that could very likely be causing some issues as the voltages could be completely off from what the ECM is looking for. I would look into it a little more and find out if any and repair underlying issues first and then take it for a custom dyno tune. Also find out what it has for injectors. I don't know what the F150's have for injectors, but if 24#'s then that is an issue as well as the 4.6 would be tuned for 19's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread