2000 Cobra Specs / Rundown, please.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
Have offer to purchase a 2000 Cobra R in the not too distant future. I would greatly appreciate a rundown of the specs, pros / cons, etc... of this vehicle, which I am totally in love with, of course. Please, comment of power, suspension, maintenance issues, etc..., anything that would be beneficial in the hands on an interested buyer Also, what does these cars actually dyno at stock (horsepower and torque)? I have heard from many sources that the listed power was understated from Ford. Your input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Andy M

Established Member
This is a good place to start.....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29147

May I ask what your intended use will be for this vehicle?? That will determine how I/we answer your question(s)....

The 2000 R is a wonderful car, but as with any specialty car, it does not fit all people's expectations. It really depends on how you intend to use it.

If it will be used for drag racing, then I would opt for something different.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
my favorite R far and away is the 93

and while i dont have any reason to suck up, despite him being my favorite instructor so far, my favorite mustang to date is mark's 93r.

there's also a guy from florida who has a 93r and a florida highway patrol notchback that i met years ago at the saac national event at michigan speedway (and i think lime rock too). his is a very close 2nd. red car, black three-spokes, and sticky tires. nothing else. love it love it love it.

that said, i find myself pondering cracking the piggy bank open for an 00r

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
They are too fat and are slow on the track. 93R's are better!:p

As long as you don't mind the '93 R running 10 seconds slower than a 2000 R on a horsepower track, it's fine!?!? ;-) :poke::read: :p :-D :pepper: :beer:

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
As long as you don't mind the '93 R running 10 seconds slower than a 2000 R on a horsepower track, it's fine!?!? ;-) :poke::read: :p :-D :pepper: :beer:

Bruce,
Mark already admitted the 00R is "fat and slow", so a person can only conclude that a 00R driver is better than a 93R driver. :shrug:

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra-R said:
Bruce,
Mark already admitted the 00R is "fat and slow", so a person can only conclude that a 00R driver is better than a 93R driver. :shrug:

Brian

Actually, I can only assume the times Mark ran in the "Older and Slower R" can be attributed to Road America driving tips from the Tonester?!!? :read: :shrug: :poke: :p :pepper: :coolman:

OMG that's just too funny!??! :lol:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Flying Fred said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good stuff guys. For once, I don't have to say anything else!!!

Fred:

Just grab a nice Cab Sav and sit back and enjoy!!! :beer:

We'll take care of the entertainment tonight!! :-D

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Too late for more w(h)ine tonight Bruce, but you are on a roll! You can carry on but I gotta go to bed and get ready for Mid-Ohio.

BTW, I partially retract my prior statement. In addition to Andy's good question, I am curious why anyone would offer to buy a car that they know nothing about?:shrug:Oh yeah, the HP listed by Ford was correct. Most stock 00Rs dyno about 330-340 at the rear wheel.

Hey John, did Mark hire you as his PR guy???

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
99Cobra#2468 said:
Have offer to purchase a 2000 Cobra R in the not too distant future. I would greatly appreciate a rundown of the specs, pros / cons, etc... of this vehicle, which I am totally in love with, of course. Please, comment of power, suspension, maintenance issues, etc..., anything that would be beneficial in the hands on an interested buyer Also, what does these cars actually dyno at stock (horsepower and torque)? I have heard from many sources that the listed power was understated from Ford. Your input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Sorry about the thread derailment here! :( But it IS what we do best around here?!? :-D :read:

At least Andy did give you a good answer. Too bad it was the only one you received?! :cryying:

Fred, I think your stock RWHP #'s for the '00 "R" are off a bit? There is no way I picked up 45 hp from a Bassani X pipe and Spin-Tech cat-backs? :shrug:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Fred, I think your stock RWHP #'s for the '00 "R" are off a bit? There is no way I picked up 45 hp from a Bassani X pipe and Spin-Tech cat-backs? :shrug:
All cars - and the dynos the numbers come from - can obviously have some variation. I quoted numbers from Steve Swanson who was an SVT Dealer and on their advisory board in 2000. He SCCA raced his R for a year and a half and had a friend with one as well. They dynoed the Rs before and after the Bassani and chip change. It added approx 40 RWHP, which correlates with the 378 mine made when first dynoed in 2002. In June 05 my best pull was 370 at Doug's Dyno Days. I think my numbers are very close.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
ac427cobra said:

BASTARD! :-D

Just wait.....5-6 years from now when I have 30 laps on that track you're really going to be in trouble!

Andy M

Established Member
Since my esteemed track buddies are insistent on further hijacking this thread, I will interject some additional thoughts... ;)

1) the 2000 R is a VERY sweet car and is special, no matter what the intended use

2) yes, the other two years of R cars are also very special as well

3) if your intent is to own a very rare car which turns heads EVERYWHERE you go, and you like to show off at car shows and draw loads of attention there and on the roads, and you will not be going "racing", then the 2000 R is the cat's meow - IMHO!

4) if however, you intend on tracking the car ALOT and/or racing it, I would recommend purchasing a race car that either someone else has already spent most of the money on and has decided to get out for whatever reason, OR, build up a Fox Mustang. Parts are a TON cheaper and they are readily available.

5) if you intend on taking this vehicle to a drag strip alot, then you might want to reconsider your choice. As others have pointed out, the 2000 R is a heavy car at 3600 pounds, before you add in a driver and gas.

6) to mod or not to mod - if you are one of those guys who just cannot resist modding a car, then get ready to open up your wallet once you begin modding a 2000 R. As many of us here can attest, you can literally spend thousands modding the car to make it "better". At the end of the day, you must assess your current financial situation AND your intended use for this vehicle.

Ok, back to the off topic discussions now... :rollseyes

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Flying Fred said:
It added approx 40 RWHP, which correlates with the 378 mine made when first dynoed in 2002.

Fred:

When Brian and I went to Mid-Ohio for the first time with NASA in April of '04, my car dynoed 385 with catted Bassani X and my own home made Spin-Tech cat back. There was no chip. That was my only power mod. I think I remember the guys (Andy?!?) saying they dynoed stock in the 360-370 rwhp range? Unfortunately I did NOT dyno my car in stock configuration. :(

93SVTCobra said:
BASTARD! :-D

MOI?!?! :D

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
You old race cars drivers just don't realize the most important trait: 95R guys get all the pretty girls....

Stevie3.jpg

"I love the guys with the sexy white cars" Stevie

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
You can be fast and "Go Your Own Way", or you can drive the sexy car and get "Big Love", have 'em cry "Don't Stop", "You Make Loving Fun", and topple you with "Silver Springs". :-D

Stevie6.jpg

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
stevie

Doc, there is not a man 40 plus who did not lust after her in the 70's and 80's. She is still a babe. Scott

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Tottally..off-topic...of course...

scottmartin said:
Doc, there is not a man 40 plus who did not lust after her in the 70's and 80's. She is still a babe. Scott

Scott,
I heard you dated her when she looked like this?:

Stevie4.jpg

:D

Users who are viewing this thread