2000 Cobra R struts/shocks and springs are in!!

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I installed the 2000 Cobra R Struts/shocks, springs and MM camber plates yesterday. Total installation time was 4.5 hours. I was worried about the rear springs but they turned out to be easier than I expected. It would have taken at least another two hours if I did not have an air compressor and an impact wrench for the spring compressor. The front upper spring pad needs to be modified to work with the thicker springs. I used a cutoff wheel and angle grinder to cut off the outter lip, the inner lip still holds the pad in place.
I was able to use the stock front strut dust covers with the MM camber plates with some modifications. The Cobra R struts don't come with new ones. I had to trim all the rubber off the top of the dust cover assembly to gain clearance with the plates.
I only drove it about 20 miles, but initial impressions are good. Firmer ride but not at all unbearable. Much flatter in the turns and most of the nose dive under braking is gone. The ride height did not drop as much as I was hoping, about 3/4" in the front and 1/2" in the rear. I'm hoping they will sag more with time. I was hoping for 1" all around. If it does not sag in a few weeks I may pull out the upper spring pads. Anyone else done this?
Overall, I highly recommend these parts.

dezracer

I like mine too but went with a little softer spring from Steeda then had Bilstein custom valve for spring rate.Dropped it about 1 1/4 inches.:)

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
OK here are a few pictures with the Cobra R springs. I don't have a before or any installation pictures. Lowered the height about 3/4" front and 1/2" rear. Rides level now. I would have liked a bit more drop, maybe 1/2" more, but the ride is what I wanted. If it does not settle anymore before spring I will try trimming the thick spring isolators to lower it more.

Cobra1
Cobra2
Cobra3

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by MikeC
OK here are a few pictures with the Cobra R springs. I don't have a before or any installation pictures. Lowered the height about 3/4" front and 1/2" rear. Rides level now. I would have liked a bit more drop, maybe 1/2" more, but the ride is what I wanted. If it does not settle anymore before spring I will try trimming the thick spring isolators to lower it more.

Cobra1
Cobra2
Cobra3

-Thanks! Looks very, very good man-nice work :) :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread