2000 Cobra R replacement tires

KKOSH

Established Member
Was wondering what everyone is using for replacement tires. Have about 3300 miles on the originals and was thinking of getting new tires due to the age of them. Then keep the originals aside.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Nitto NT05s and they are excellent! I went with 275s, but they are a bit narrower than the original 265s. You could easily do 285s.

I pulled my original tires/wheels at 900 miles to preserve them. The NT05s are a great tire for the R.

KKOSH

Established Member
There seems to be quite a bit of choices for the same size tire from Michelin, Bridgestone, ... Or should i just continue to use the originals? Just not sure how safe they are due to the age.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Store the originals.
I'd check on Toyo 888 sizes. I've got those on a few cars & have great results.
People that say they are loud are the ones that cheaped out and bought used tires.
And then the question is.., were they properly heat cycled? Were they exposed to freezing temps?
Probably no to the first, and probably yes to the second question.
The Toyo 888 is a great tire for straight line traction & is a great cornering track tire. Just don't buy used ones and complain about noise because your too cheap to buy new ones.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Over the winter I installed Hankook Ventus V12 evo2’s in the stock size.

Unfortunately with all the rain we’ve been having this spring, I’ve barely driven the car enough to get a feel for them.

I’ll report back in a month or so with an update

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
There seems to be quite a bit of choices for the same size tire from Michelin, Bridgestone, ... Or should i just continue to use the originals? Just not sure how safe they are due to the age.

Your original tires are gold! Those tires were made specifically for the 00R and are simply no longer available. Pull and store ASAP to preserve them. You or the next owner will be happy later on.

Why would someone buy used tires for a 00R?

Exactly! :eek:

I’ve never know anyone to buy used tires for their 00R.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’ve used nt05’s on a few sn95 cars. Great tire for these chassis.

It’s actually a bit of a nervous tire on cars with less weight on the nose, but it’s an excellent tire on a nose heavy car. They were too loose for a Honda S2000 I drove but that car also had imo an awful alignment.

I don’t have or have driven a cobra r, I was consider the downforce, generally balanced and taught but not harsh ride and overall balance very complemented by a somewhat eager tire like an nt05. These tires have great bite and turn in with progressive and communicative slip and break away points.

One tire I do not recommend for sn95’s is the Falken rt615’s but when I had them my suspension was a mess and my alignment was also weird.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread