2000 Cobra R CarbonFiber intake

David Isaacks

Established Member
Figured id post a build thread over here as well, been working on a pretty tricky project for a while now. In my journey to build a almost perfect tribute car and realizing actually finding a production intake manifold is harder than winning the lottery. I have decided build one, yes build, and the cast it out of Carbon ‍♂️

First step is to build a model, doing so will allow me to build it to fit my needs and since i am using a Australian Boss290 lower intake manifold it will require a custom flange to adapt the two.

I went back and forth on what to use, material wise, to build the model from. In the end i settled on 4lb polyurethane expanding foam. The reason behind this is it is easy to work with, super easy to sand and hand form AND being polyurethane not polystyrene it will handle fiberglass resins easily without having to use exspensive epoxy resins.

Firstly, i had to build a fixture to pour my foam into. I needed a giant block to carve!

The pour foam liquid alone was $100, and i had another $40 or so in materials to build the fixture

David Isaacks

Established Member
Next i started work on the Flange that the Carbon lid will adhere to. I had to start out by working with the lower manifold soni could get a good shape and plan my mounting points

For the flange i will use 1/2" 6061 aluminum, and i will router a 3/8" stepped ridge around the outside edge for the lid to sit on. This will leave a 3/8" contact patch to bond the lid to the lower flange

Dave.O

Established Member
are you in college station TX?
I actually have a real R lower in Houston I picked up last year if you wanted to take some comparison measurements for mock up

(I'm also in need of an upper....)

David Isaacks

Established Member
Change of plans!!!

After quite a bit of trial and error, alot of error...... i have decided to move on from the CarbonFiber idea

The footprint was just too large and the risk's outweighed the positives. I couldnt continue sinking money into it

But im not giving up. I am turning from Carbon, to 6061 Aluminum. I will try my best to get it as close to OEM as possible, wont be easy but i have a vision in my head and am going after it

David Isaacks

Established Member
First up, had to start with a base

I am using a Australian BOSS 290 lower, and will be building the lid to adapt to this.

Started with a $165, 12"x24" piece of 1/2" 6061 sheet.....

Users who are viewing this thread