2000 5.4 Cobra R Engine parts

bret

Established Member
anyone thought of pirating any of the parts off the R? i know it is just a beefed up navi, and i also know none of the parts are "directly" available (even for repair), but i know they "can" be obtained from the original manufactures. i am looking at the rods to start... but what kind of benefits could we see from a head swap? what would we need to make the 4V heads work?

bret

Established Member
anyone got pics of the 5.4 R heads and the 5.4 L heads? i just want to see if it is a lost cause, or if they can be modded to take the eaton... regardless i think pirating the rods would be a good idea, if they can withstand 7k rpm, they could take a beating from our 5200rpm redline, with lots of boost/juice/etc...

Vito

Broken
Established Member
You need a new intake (not CAI) :lol1:
for either of the DOHC engines Navigator or Cobra R
:read: I think

Blown SVT 00

Established Member
you dont know what an intake is? ok, i would do a lot of research on this before spending. jdm sells manley rods, thats what you need. the heads off of a navi will fit but you also need the timing chains and gears. your looking at about 900 bucks for a custom intake to accomodate the navi heads and roots charger. ross racing pistons is the way to go. dont waste your money on cobra r stuff. i take that back....the water pump is worth the $$.

man you should really read up on these engines, ther eis a lot to learn and it is a slow process...

bret

Established Member
i know what an intake is. but that is the only thing needed to get the heads to work? that doesn't even make sense... unless you are saying i have to ditch the blower... or are you saying the manifold needs to be custom fitted? also carillo makes the R rods, and i heard they are pretty damn strong. they might be worth looking into.

bret

Established Member
damn, just checked the price on those manley rods.. < $500 is dirt cheap... i guess i will use those. what kind of benefits would been seen from using the 4v heads on the L engine? any ideas?

Blown SVT 00

Established Member
ims aying the intake for the eaton does not accomodate 4v heads, you have to get a custom intake made for the eaton and 4v heads and i know 1st hand the company thats making them is getting about 900 bucks. they make it out of a solid block of billet aluminum. get the heads ported and polished and youll be set. make sure you replace all engine parts at once..that will save you a ot of $$..they 4v heads are flowing almost twince the cfm. cfm is the name of the game with forced air induction..the idea is to get as much fuel and air as fast as you can in and out of the engine.

bret

Established Member
JDM is making a lower intake manifold to fit the eaton to the 4v cobra r heads? why isn't it on their website? and why wouldn't blown svt just say jdm was the company in the first place.

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Originally posted by bret
JDM is making a lower intake manifold to fit the eaton to the 4v cobra r heads? why isn't it on their website? and why wouldn't blown svt just say jdm was the company in the first place.
Im not sure why blown didnt say.
and JDM makes them as needed I think

BRIMSTONE

Good luck with the heads, even R owners can't get em. If you know of a source, please let me know... The closest I've heard was the FR500 heads when they are available.

There is an R owner who put a Paxton charger on his R and was making 600HP - maybe you should leave open the option of changing to a centrifugal charger along with the other swaps...

Email me privately if you are seriously interested in seeing what the R lower intake manifold looks like.

Mike
[email protected]

bret

Established Member
yeah, i know the heads are RARE, dealers can't even get them to service a car. i got a few parts connections over at roush, maybe one of them can help me out. i am going to send out a couple emails today, maybe i will get lucky. only problem is, even if i find them, i have no bargining power, it's pretty much take them or leave them at whatever price they ask...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
yeah, i know the heads are RARE, dealers can't even get them to service a car. i got a few parts connections over at roush, maybe one of them can help me out. i am going to send out a couple emails today, maybe i will get lucky. only problem is, even if i find them, i have no bargining power, it's pretty much take them or leave them at whatever price they ask...

Yoy got to love Jack Roush!!!
that man can build a car. I drove a stage3 98 conv, based on a cobra. 440 hp. The car onlyu resembled a mustang, the interior, the engine, tranny, suspension, wheels, tires, gauges, were all Roush. Including the etched glass with Roush on it. Sweet.

BRIMSTONE

Dude if you find em let me know, please!

Thanks,
Mike
[email protected]

KINGCOBRA150

Established Member
www.seanhylandmotorsport.com is selling 5.4L 4V crate motors, may be worth a shot talking them into just the heads. One crate motor even includes the lower intake to mate the paxton to the 4V heads, $14,500 w/o a swap. Not too bad if you want a new engine to.:burn:

Users who are viewing this thread