$200 to shorten my d/s and balance it!?

pest36

Established Member
couldnt even believe it...200-220 bucks they said. everyone on here was tellin me $80. they guy said maybe $80 just to cut it, not balance it.

andddd on top of. i was quoted, well he said max would cost $500 to install gears, bushings, crossmember, IRS brace (maybe catback) .(body shop is gonna do the sfc's)

if the exhaust needs to be lifted or dropped, i may even consider ordering another bassani....? probably gonna be maxed out on the credit card after this. costin over a grand to do gears is ridiculous. shoulda never did it, but i'm sure i'll be happy in the end, just not payin the card off. i didn't even get an MGW yet.

also, does the 01 cobra need a new carrier for doing 4.10 gears?

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I don't think the $500 would be bad to install all that. Some places around here wanted $500 just to install the gears. :shrug:

pest36

Established Member
just makin sure I wasn't getting ripped off for the installation. but is that pricey for the shortening of the D/S?
My car's body work is going to be $800 then I asked them to add in SFC install/weld, so hopefully that price won't jump higher than $100, then figure in a 4 wheel alignment...

anyway...so does the stock carrier work with 4.10s?? he said it's real expensive if I need a new one.

Last edited:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
the stock carrier is fine. But you may want to rebuild the clutch packs and add an f150 spring. Do a search for more info.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
if you take the dif out and just bring that to the shop for the gears, that will save you about $350-$400 in labor. i removed my dif and brought that into the shop and payed $250 for installation (i bought the gears separate).

cobraracer46

Banned
pest36 said:
probably gonna be maxed out on the credit card after this.
Having a credit card and maxing it out is a very stupid thing to do. How about paying off all the crap you bought instead of buying more shit that you cant afford?:lol1: Cars are a big enough money pit as it is without making it worse by paying loaded credit card interest rates. As for the drive shaft, why pay $220 to shorten your stocker when you can go to D&D performance and get a new one for the same price or a metal matrix composit version for $500?

Last edited:

01 Venom

Established Member
cars are expensive man, Cobras tend to be a bit more expensive then other stangs espeacially new edges.

Sounds like a fair price to me for all of that work

pest36

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Having a credit card and maxing it out is a very stupid thing to do. How about paying off all the crap you bought instead of buying more shit that you cant afford?:lol1: Cars are a big enough money pit as it is without making it worse by paying loaded credit card interest rates. As for the drive shaft, why pay $220 to shorten your stocker when you can go to D&D performance and get a new one for the same price or a metal matrix composit version for $500?

maxing out, i mean, this is a different credit card with only a 2k limit and 0% interest for 6 months. so it's not too bad.
i already had an FRPP aluminum D/s for 94-04 cars that i bought last year. I paid like $250 or so I kinda had no choice.
I was tempted to have the guy do a catback while it's gotta be dropped but i'm gonna keep it a sleeper definitly cuz theyre plenty of evos, sti's, and randmon rice at school that need to be taken care of :-D

motorcitycobra

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Having a credit card and maxing it out is a very stupid thing to do. How about paying off all the crap you bought instead of buying more shit that you cant afford?:lol1<snip>

did he ask for advice on how he was payin' for the stuff? we've all heard your opinion on credit cards and financing. why not keep your opinion to yourself unless unless the topic is specifically asked. :loser:

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
Not bad at all man.. I paid 590 something for 3:73's, Poly diff bushings, friction modifier, gear lube, labor and install.. STEEN RACING FOR LYFE!! Seriously tho.. Thats not bad.

01vert

Established Member
Jeez, good to see the other peoples money police are on the board. Hey, I may not use my CC but my life is not yours. I know someone who spends a TON on their CC but pays it off all the time.
If I was to say spending money on a griggs suspension for a cobra was stupid how would I sound?
Your money, your life, YOUR CAR!!
good luck on the mods, however maybe looking at a built DS and selling yours is the way to go.
Well after loking at D&D they do not stock a stock length cobra aluminum DS, and I am guessing that you are shortening an aluminum DS from Ford racing. So buying a new DS would cost $500 IF they made one and the composite is $600 btw. Look for another DS shop and see about their price.

Last edited:

pest36

Established Member
i understand, the guy could be lookin out for me because i shouldnt be in debt at age 22. i know what i'm doing is retarded but.... the question is, pay now and have a car i want at my age or drive a gay car now while i'm young? how cool is it be 40 and have a cobra or 18-25? i've had a mustang since i was 17 and i'm sure that'll never change. no offense to any older guys. you know what i mean though. just how every vette owner you see has gray hair. i explain this to my parents. the car is my obsession. some people are nerds and spend money on books, etc. i waste my money on cars.
i'm gonna be a paralegal and start my internship next spring/summer, so i think i'll do alright payin off the cards.
on another note, IRS brace just came in... just waiting on SFCs and X-member then i'm ready to go. i talked to the guy at the shop and he said he can install next week. i'm pretty psyched. thanks guys.!!:D

motorcitycobra

Established Member
I think a Fox specific DS is the right length and you simply swap the front yoke. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

He wasn't lookin' out for ya dude. he thinks everyone that finances a car or uses a credit card is stupid.

pest36

Established Member
well i'm glad it cost $241.68 to shorten my driveshaft that I paid $250 for....
just got it back and the cross memeber in the mail today; ready for install. gonna drop my car off this week, so by the weekend i'll having some fun.

Users who are viewing this thread