20-25 MPH Headwinds?

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
Has anybody ever raced 1/4 mile into a 20+ MPH headwind? What are the effects on the L? I'm a bit discouraged with the weather. I'm getting ready to head out for street night at HRP and the air is cool and dry but the wind is howling straight from the north. I'm sure that would negate my gains from the DR's and a little weight drop. Comments? :shrug:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Billybong said:
Has anybody ever raced 1/4 mile into a 20+ MPH headwind? What are the effects on the L? I'm a bit discouraged with the weather. I'm getting ready to head out for street night at HRP and the air is cool and dry but the wind is howling straight from the north. I'm sure that would negate my gains from the DR's and a little weight drop. Comments? :shrug:

I had planned all week long to go out there tonight since the weather was supposed to be perfect, but there's no way I'm going to contend with that headwind. Whatever mods I've done since I was there last will be negated. I'll just wait until after the O'Reilly Nats when there will be fresh rubber down and maybe there won't be a nasty headwind.

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
Well I just got back from HRP and it turned out to be a pretty good night anyway. The wind finally backed down to about 10-15 mph and the track was in good shape. I hit my goal of breaking into the 12's on my first pass running 12.78 @ 105.45 mp with a 1.84 60'. I backed it up with a 12.81 at 105.00 and an identical 60'. So I'm pleased for now. Only on other Lightning at the track tonite. I guess everybody went to Belle Rose, Louisiana. :D

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Billybong said:
Well I just got back from HRP and it turned out to be a pretty good night anyway. The wind finally backed down to about 10-15 mph and the track was in good shape. I hit my goal of breaking into the 12's on my first pass running 12.78 @ 105.45 mp with a 1.84 60'. I backed it up with a 12.81 at 105.00 and an identical 60'. So I'm pleased for now. Only on other Lightning at the track tonite. I guess everybody went to Belle Rose, Louisiana. :D

Good job. :beer: What are your mods? I think a lot of guys went to LSR tonight too.

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
Sinister04L said:
Good job. :beer: What are your mods? I think a lot of guys went to LSR tonight too.

I picked up some fresh Nitto DR's earlier today and I removed all of the spare tire accessories. :burnout:

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Billybong said:
I picked up some fresh Nitto DR's earlier today and I removed all of the spare tire accessories. :burnout:
DR's kick ass! Last Sunday I went to HMP to make a few passes.
Just for shits and grins I decided to make a pass in full weight
(140LB innovation pro-sport) and DR's. I managed to rip off a 7.97 w/ 1.74 60"
I was suprised how well the DR's hooked! :burnout:

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
PimpRohr said:
Drag Radials > Street Tires
Slicks > Drag Radials.

With DR's you can still compete in DOT classes is one advantage but I plan on getting some slicks and traction bars and d/s loop.

Users who are viewing this thread