2 weeks at the track 2 half shafts down

jeffsvt

Established Member
I've had fairly good luck with the stock halfshafts until recently . I have well over 300 passes on the stock shafts without a half shaft failure until recently . The last 2 weekends in a row I've gotten one . I broke the driver side last weekend and the passenger side this past weekend . It seems since I installed the DFX clutch it has found the weak link in my car . Oh well no more playing around I've got a solid axle that's going in either this week or next .

87FOXGT

Established Member
did you hop at all? even if you didnt, with all those passes, i guess it was just a matter of time. good luck with the live axle!

jeffsvt

Established Member
87FOXGT said:
did you hop at all? even if you didnt, with all those passes, i guess it was just a matter of time. good luck with the live axle!

Both times it didn't hop , clutch dumped at 4k and snap made it about 5ft off the line . I've never had wheel hop with ET Street on the car it either hooks or spins no hopping at all . And yes I knew it was just a matter of time before one broke I'm glad it took this long .

And yes I know a solid can break as well but it is better for my car since mine is easily 80% straight line warrior .

dakota318

Banned
No hop, at all this past sat... made 20 passes practicing for the first time on MT DRs with my new level 5s I put on friday night. 5K clutch dumps, loved it... stock clutch took every bit of it. I say go with the 5s.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
...and solid axles NEVER hop....

LOL, um thats not true, ive owned a bunch of GT's heavily moded
and with out enough suspension work they hopped as bad as my cobra.

even worse if you were going around a turn and hit any bumps, or accelerating
hard and hit any bumps it would thump thump thump down the road on
solid axles.

problem doesnt automatically go away because your solid axle.

there are more ways to make hop go away with solid axles then irs but dont kid yourself and think you wont hop.

dakota318

Banned
Yeah, I got the same problem in my truck... Getting a set of Caltracs made up special after it gets lifted to help from the leafs from twisting.

But dont GTs have coils though, not leafs? Excuse the lack of mustang knowledge/history, this is my first one.

Big_Torch

Banned
BuffDigits said:
LOL, um thats not true, ive owned a bunch of GT's heavily moded
and with out enough suspension work they hopped as bad as my cobra.

even worse if you were going around a turn and hit any bumps, or accelerating
hard and hit any bumps it would thump thump thump down the road on
solid axles.

problem doesnt automatically go away because your solid axle.

there are more ways to make hop go away with solid axles then irs but dont kid yourself and think you wont hop.

he was being sarcastic! :coolman:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
jeffsvt said:
Both times it didn't hop , clutch dumped at 4k and snap made it about 5ft off the line . I've never had wheel hop with ET Street on the car it either hooks or spins no hopping at all . And yes I knew it was just a matter of time before one broke I'm glad it took this long .

And yes I know a solid can break as well but it is better for my car since mine is easily 80% straight line warrior .

300+ passes was excellent! I had my level 5's installed last week after my buddy did the same thing as you - clutch dump and bamn. His stockers held up for 2 track years.

Last edited:

jeffsvt

Established Member
300+ passes and I'm not complaining I was more than happy to get that out of them .

Here are some pictures of one I broke .

hs1.jpg

hs2.jpg

hs3.jpg

The other one still in the car broke at the first boot closest to the wheel .

Since 1964

Established Member
I wish I had a Boat. Then I would have immediately purchased a live axle and used my IRS as an anchor.

I don't think the driveability is worth the hassle and the IRS sucks. There is NOTHING more frightening than trying to clean off your tires before a run and having the ass end jump all over the place. It has ruined my last launch folks,....I'm calling midnight auto...I hope it's not YOUR Mach 1 we tear apart.

Users who are viewing this thread