2 step rev limiter

shhak

Established Member
I'm buying a TT 03 with an .020 teksid block, ported heads, and custom turbo cams. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about a 2 step for these cars. I know you can get one programmed in with the tune, but do they sell a kit you can install? Thanks

MustangThief

Established Member
This was taken from smashedheadcat from modularfords:

smashedheadcat said:
You can do that with the turbosmart eboost boost controllers. The eboost 1 has 3 settings. I think th eboost 2 has 4. You can run with the eboost 1, say 8psi in 1st gear, 12psi in second and 20psi for the rest of the gears if you want to. There are others that have this feature as well. It takes some wiring to get all this to work though.

TRBO VNM

with the 2-step, SCT and diablo have them in the software, but the SCT is not the proper 2-step. it removes fuel. you want a 2-step that removes timing. the fuel is ignited and creates the heat to spin the turbo and spool up. it basically loads it. I don't know how the diablo 2-step works.

aside from that, MSD was a couple of things. the DIS-4 boxes, which is a wiring nightmare, but apparently there are new harnesses that make the job easier. MSD just came out with something else that some people have tried and it has worked well. I think it is the MSD MOD-6, but you need to confirm that. I haven't looked into it since I already have the DIS boxes.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
with the 2-step, SCT and diablo have them in the software, but the SCT is not the proper 2-step. it removes fuel. you want a 2-step that removes timing. the fuel is ignited and creates the heat to spin the turbo and spool up. it basically loads it. I don't know how the diablo 2-step works.

aside from that, MSD was a couple of things. the DIS-4 boxes, which is a wiring nightmare, but apparently there are new harnesses that make the job easier. MSD just came out with something else that some people have tried and it has worked well. I think it is the MSD MOD-6, but you need to confirm that. I haven't looked into it since I already have the DIS boxes.

Jason is right. The new 2 step that MSD offers is called the MOD 6. You also need the harnesses for it. Total is about $700. I am installing a MOD6 in a few weeks so i will give my feedback on how it went and works

SVTboy

Established Member
I have the MSD Dis4 boxes, the two step function works AWESOME!!!!! For launching a turbo/stick car at the track its a night and day difference in your sixty foot. These boxes also have a timing retard function that can be adjusted to your liking (depending on track and weather conditions). The install does take some time. There is still a bit of splicing and soldering involved but the new MSD wire pack makes it way easier and way cleaner (no need to hack up your origional wire harness). For me the hardest part was deciding on a suitable location to put the boxes that I could easly get to in order to make adjustments.

tt5.5L03cobra

Banned
Would that msd dis4 boxes setup be good for passing emissions? I'm going turbos and want a two step but want to remain street legal. Would it replace the stock wiring harnes or just splice into it/ add on to it? Sorry if this seems a stupid question but i'm not sure how this works. Would someone be up to explain it?

SVTboy

Established Member
If your interested I am selling my ignition set-up, its posted in the market

To answer your question, the MSD stuff is like an ignition amplifier, provides a hotter spark than what your stock ignition will produce. Your car will still remain street legal for all the emissions stuff, the two step will only activate when you want it too. You will also keep your factory harness, MSD makes a new harness that plugs between the coil and the stock wiring (very convenient for installing and disconnecting).

Greg@RET

Established Member
I just finished installing the MSD stuff the other day. I fired it today and the 2 step does work, but it has a miss. It was also robbing about 300rwhp on the dyno. I triple checked all the wiring... but it all looks fine. I am pissed about spending $1k on this stuff and its not working...

On another note, I put the SCT one in my car tonight just for fun (everyone says it doesnt work) and it was making 4-6lbs of boost back and fourth :shrug:

TRBO VNM

I just finished installing the MSD stuff the other day. I fired it today and the 2 step does work, but it has a miss. It was also robbing about 300rwhp on the dyno. I triple checked all the wiring... but it all looks fine. I am pissed about spending $1k on this stuff and its not working...

On another note, I put the SCT one in my car tonight just for fun (everyone says it doesnt work) and it was making 4-6lbs of boost back and fourth :shrug:

try launching with that 4-6#. on mine I made that as well, but it did nothing but bog and either go or bog and shut off. I needed about 10# to launch decent.

on the MSD issue, how is your ground? solder all the connections?

Greg@RET

Established Member
SVTboy said he had the same issue, and MSD said ground it to the battery. Mine is to the body, so I will give that a shot. All the connections are soldered/heat shrink with the glue inside. I did extend all 24 wires so everything would go to the trunk, but I know it was all done correctly since I did it one wire at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread