2 Piece Rotors Creaking ST-60

willpower

Established Member
Hello,

I had installed Saleen's BBK, which is a 2 piece rotor 15", 6 piston ST-60 Kit.

A little about my car:

1. The car has 8000 miles
2. Wheel is Alcoa 20x9 w. Mcguard Lug Nuts
3. No leaks in the Brake Fluid System, but it has turned a caramel color
4. Pads are Posi-Ceramic I installed placing lubricant on the back plate
5. Rotors are slotted and 2 piece factory bolted to the aero hat.

The creaking comes only from the passenger side, and happens when the brake pedal is depressed and I am coming to a stop. At first, it was not very noticeable, now every time I brake from 50mph-0mph I can hear the creak. It has evolved from a lesser creak to a louder creak with a rotational rhythm. Its especially prevalent if I am braking down a steep hill.

I called stoptech, and they said this should not be happening, but I have nothing to worry about. They said it could be that the 2 peice system is not correctly torque, that the washers are flipped. They do not think it is the pistons that are causing the problem.

I checked the lug torque manually, and did not find any loose nuts. The shop I took it to last, torqued it to 100 with a torque wrench.

Any ideas? Is this unsafe to drive?

Thanks!

Will

Here are the video links to the sound:

Mustang 2013 GT ST-60 Slow Speed Clicking - YouTube

This 2nd video you have to turn up, almost sounds like a scraping:

Mustang 2013 ST60 Creaking - YouTube

Last edited:

willpower

Established Member
I'll do the pins and check the caliper as soon as I can, does it sound like i should stay off the car, or is it relatively safe to drive?

willpower

Established Member
Update.

So I have not figured out what exactly is it that is creaking.

I went to a shop today that helped me re-torque the caliper holding bolts and bracket bolts to spec, also all allen nuts on the caliper.

I also flushed the brake system with Motul.

The sound does not happen when brakes are pressed lightly, only when significant pedal force (40%+) is used.

Its very much replicable when rolling backwards and forwards from park and depressing the pedal significantly to stop, it produces a click, click, click sound, almost as if the wheel lug nuts are not torqued correctly (but they are). If I just let the car roll slowly, there is no sound from the brakes.

At times, when going over rough roads, I will hear a *Click* that sounds like the sound reproduced when braking, as if something may be loose?

When pumping the brakes in park, there is 0 sound from the calipers.

I have a video of the sound I will post later tonight if it helps.

The tech seems to think that the rotors are cracked, but quite honestly, I drive pretty mildy and these are 2 piece 15" massive rotors made for the track, I doubt I cracked them driving locally through la streets.

Thanks for the help!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i have that too. i had it for about 5k miles or so. have not really cared to look into it. i have the stock non brembo brakes. i have not checked the torque. i put springs about 10k miles ago so if it had stayed together that long it should be fine, i hope.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
mine is not as loud as that. but maybe is because the mic pics up alot more than what it really is.

willpower

Established Member
Did you shim the calipers properly?

We took out the old pads, put the new pads with metal shims attached to the back of it already inside with a thin layer of brake grease.

Is that what you mean by shim the calipers?

I'm wondering if it could be my bearing (but this sound only happens when braking right now), suspension part (unlikely), or studs?

SD_Stang

Established Member
Does it make the noise when your taking off in first? Or just when coming to a stop?

Check the Front control Arm bushings if they are still factory because that would make a groan/click under torque at low speeds. Dealer replaced mine after 2,000 due to being defective.

willpower

Established Member
Does it make the noise when your taking off in first? Or just when coming to a stop?

Check the Front control Arm bushings if they are still factory because that would make a groan/click under torque at low speeds. Dealer replaced mine after 2,000 due to being defective.

Thanks, I'll definately look into it, I think there might even be a TSB for that.

What would explain the creaking/scraping sound I hear from braking 40mph-0mph? Would the bushings cause that rotational noise in the video?

Will

SD_Stang

Established Member
I just watched the Video that's not it. That may be bearings but I would think it would be at all speeds it almost looked in the first video like your wheels will move and then the rotor turns slightly after it.

it certainly sounds like it's wheel or brake related I'd likely pull it all off and check everything if somethings broken or sticking it may show when it's taken off. You can also inspect everything at that point.

willpower

Established Member
Stoptech thinks it is the rotor hardware failing, which is strange because I have had this set maybe 2000 miles on the street only.

They are asking me to purchase a new set of hardware ~ 60$, take apart the rotor and retorque to spec.

I believe each hex is supposed to be torqued to 70 ft/lbs, how the heck am I supposed to torque a hex to that? Seems pretty heavy for such a small screw?

Users who are viewing this thread