2.9l whipple or 3.4l whipple help!!!!!!!

2quicksvt

Established Member
Current setup is 2.3l gen 2 whipple with supporting mods... Tune 1- 3.5 upper 19.5° timing 17lb boost pump gas 608hp. Tune 2- 3.0 torco 19.5° 17.4 lb boost 639hp. Tune 3- 3.0 torco 21.5° 22lb boost 662hp. These are great numbers car has been on pump gas tune since I've owned it, would like to roll around with 700-800+ hp. Just want to get feedback on what you think the best route for me to take is. I know i have to upgrade the supporting mods to handle this power but just focusing on what size blower. Please help thanks

whipplecrusher

Established Member
like if you want to run 20 psi or more get the 3.4l crusher but if you are going to run 20 psi or less get the 2.9L whipple

gabe1530

Banned
i suggest getting the 2.9 if you are going to stay under 24lbs. anything over that and i would get the 3.4. imo, its just plain efficiency.

moot09

Established Member
Stock motor-2.9L

Built motor-3.4L

No point in spending the extra dough for boost you wont be able to run safely and insane numbers you will only see on the dyno. Most of the 3.4L owners you see never crack 25+lbs. Waste of money IMO. Or you could make the switch to E85 and make north of 700 pretty easily with your 2.3L. Just throwing out options. Good luck with your decision though man.

Unless you do have a built motor and in that case go 3.4L and break the sound barrier!

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Neither! If you are really looking to be in that range, for the same money you could go single, or twin turbo, and run a lot more efficiently. Honestly, I don't see the point of running these really big blowers like the 3.4 on the street, when you need race gas to support the high psi requirements. For a dedicated track car, sure, but for a street car, it's more trouble than it's worth, and just plain impractical inmo.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Our 4.6Ls just don't spin the 3.4L as well as some of the 4.0 or 5.3/5.4 blocks. I have neither, but from what I read I will agree with everyone else, the 3.4 is going to be overkill.

whitedevil0321

Established Member
Neither! If you are really looking to be in that range, for the same money you could go single, or twin turbo, and run a lot more efficiently. Honestly, I don't see the point of running these really big blowers like the 3.4 on the street, when you need race gas to support the high psi requirements. For a dedicated track car, sure, but for a street car, it's more trouble than it's worth, and just plain impractical inmo.

please show me where there is a twin turbo kit for 5 grand or less hell 7 grand or less

get a kenne bell 2.8LC mammoth :) i own a whipple 2.9 car and im saying that

freiday13

Established Member
^^^ agreed thats what im going to do is the 3.4 with the crusher kit the stock engine can handle alot of hp

Quagmire

Established Member
i want 600-700 on my dd. I am i am probably going with a used 2.6/2.8 kb or most likely the new 2.9 whipple. running 17-19 psi

moot09

Established Member
3.4 + 24psi + E85 = WIN on any size engine.

The stock engine can make 900rwhp without ever worrying about it.

To an extent. Pushing that amount of power on stock internals can be done, and will hold for sometime. But theses motors aren't bulletproof. Sure you can see 24psi for a while but you can compare it to pulling a grenade pin and running with it. Inevitably it will let go. Which is why you see these 5.1L stokers running that big of a blower with high PSI.

I just dont see why people buy blowers like the 3.4L and never use them to their full potential. I wouldn't be happy after spending 5 grand on a blower only to see numbers and performance of a lesser sized blower. Hindsight 2020 would be running less boost.

You could easily break 700 with a smaller blower like the KB 2.6 or the 2.9 for cheaper.

And yes you can get into a TT kit for around the same price as a bigger blower. Just preference I guess.

Ironhand

Banned
3.4 + 24psi + E85 = WIN on any size engine.

The stock engine can make 900rwhp without ever worrying about it.

Until the rod bolts stretch and the rod goes through the block.

The limit on stock rods and bolts is around the 750 mark. Put ARP 2000 rod bolts in then 900 shouldnt be that hard as long as the pistons hold out.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
To an extent. Pushing that amount of power on stock internals can be done, and will hold for sometime. But theses motors aren't bulletproof. Sure you can see 24psi for a while but you can compare it to pulling a grenade pin and running with it. Inevitably it will let go. Which is why you see these 5.1L stokers running that big of a blower with high PSI.

I just dont see why people buy blowers like the 3.4L and never use them to their full potential. I wouldn't be happy after spending 5 grand on a blower only to see numbers and performance of a lesser sized blower. Hindsight 2020 would be running less boost.

You could easily break 700 with a smaller blower like the KB 2.6 or the 2.9 for cheaper.

And yes you can get into a TT kit for around the same price as a bigger blower. Just preference I guess.

You make valid points.
But here is my argument:

The stock engine can handle 900-1000rwhp. Find me one documented story of a terminator engine breaking due to overstressed parts....not gonna happen. Its always detonation or a lean condition. People destroy engines, not big blowers.

Buying a big blower and using it at its recommended psi range is smart. Whats even smarter is when you have the money for the big bad engine build, you dont have to upgrade the blower. :beer:

And another point: 2.9 and 3.4 = Same price.

moot09

Established Member
You make valid points.
But here is my argument:

The stock engine can handle 900-1000rwhp. Find me one documented story of a terminator engine breaking due to overstressed parts....not gonna happen. Its always detonation or a lean condition. People destroy engines, not big blowers.

Buying a big blower and using it at its recommended psi range is smart. Whats even smarter is when you have the money for the big bad engine build, you dont have to upgrade the blower. :beer:

And another point: 2.9 and 3.4 = Same price.

Same goes for you bud! :beer:

I guess it would just be my personal preference. If I wanted to go with a blower than could power the United States, I'd want the upgraded hardware as well. The saying go big or go home falls into place. Again though, my personal preference.

I think what I'm trying to get at is you dont need a big ass blower such as the 3.4L to make stupid power.

And you are definitely right about upgrading! Go high CR, E85 and make

Either way OP, you will make great power with both blowers!

GodStang

Established Member
2.8l mammoth that is liquid cooled. helps keep iat2s in check and lower than any blower on the market. Which leads to life of the blower and more power.

2quicksvt

Established Member
Thanks guys !!!!! Still trying to figure out what I wanna go with so I only do it once. Keep the inputs coming...

Users who are viewing this thread