2.9L whipple/2.6KB/2.8KB owners, please check in w/info

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
What intake+MAF combo are you guys running with your various setups?

I had an issue with a tuner (who will not be named at this time) who basically said I was an "idiot" for having a JLT Ram Air intake utilizing a stock 90 mm MAF w/ Diablo mafia.

I am aware that it is a point restriction, however I believe that the severity of the said restriction is being quite a bit overstated...

My setup is as follows:

2.9 whipple (standard inlet of course)
JLT ram air intake as previously mentioned

4.75L (290ci) MMR 1000 motor, 8.5:1 comp
ported heads w/Ford GT cams
Ported lower intake

ARH 1 3/4" headers with 3-2.5" x-pipe
3.5" pulley (Reichard Racing 2.8" pulley is on hand but not on the car...yet)

2lb lower
Lethal return with 105 lb injectors for E85

This guy also said if I insist on using the intake, that I might as well "find another tuner". He steadfastly refuses to touch the car unless I buy the JLT High Boost intake with the required BA2600/BA3000, which is an additional 500 bucks...

Can you all chime in with your respective setups, and wiegh in on whether my use of the ram air is as "stupid" as was indicated? I do intend to go with the Crusher intake, but $3k with install and retune is not in the cards until November or December, and I am NOT waiting until then to have the car tuned to drive it.

Thanks all of you in advance for your respective inputs :beer:

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
stock intake, sct 3000. perfect drivability no issues at all. 2.9 whipple. I make 710rwhp on 23lbs on a conservative dyno. a lot of "shop cars" come to mustang magic to dyno there car's and leave a bit sad because they dont see there million hp reading .

Iv seen two crushers on the 2.9 at 21 22lbs in person and was not impressed. The only high hp crusher kit iv seen is robs car on here but I still dont believe it made 800rwhp. would I drop the loot on that? no.

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
KB 2.8 / accufab single blade throttle body / JLT high boost next gen cold air with SCT 2600MAF

No issues for me but still breaking in. I personally wouldnt do the crusher unless you have the extra money to spend and dont care. Its just too expensive and not worth the power gain but thats just me.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
2.9 whip/jlt rai/lfp sbtb/sct ba3000 maf/ngk's @ .30/80's and full return-----zero probs

Users who are viewing this thread