2.93 Pulley Without Idler - How Much Slippage?

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
I need your guys' advice...

I'm getting a Lightning pulley (no cost). After doing a search on this board, I've learned that there could be slippage without idlers.

My question is -- how bad will the slippage be? I know it's a PITA to swap pulleys, so should I just order the Reichard Racing pulley and be done with it?

Thanks for your input. I'm just trying to maximize every performance dollar since I'm married and you know what that means for buying toys. :shrug:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Unless you change out the belt you will see a lot of slippage in the high RPM range. Get a Gatorback belt, not sure of the entire part number - but it ends in 45, and you can use your stock idler with no slippage.

*EDIT* - click on the link ;-)

Click Here

Last edited:

stang03svtcobra

well i have a L pully... i ordered a 2.80 belt size from i believe south florida pulley i have very little slip it pegs inbetween 14.5-15 ibs and slips to about 14-14.25 ibs past 6000 rpms

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
I put on the 2.93 pulley and had slippage on the dyno, I put on the gatorback belt (1/2 shorter) and that took care of the slippage.

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
I run a 2.93 non slip with a 74" gates. I have some dust but I think thats normal. I believe the cars slipping bad will have dust everywhere. I have heard you want a little slip???? Not sure if there is any truth to that or not. My dyno charts look a little funny up top so I put in ngk tr6's gapped at .35 and Im putting a 100mm metco idler on tomorrow. I going to go re dyno and compare the two. Some say you don't get slip with 2.93 and some say you do. I guess every car is a little different.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Thanks everyone. I ordered the Gatorback #4080740 from Autozone. It was $25.99 and will arrive in 2 days.

*Edit - I bought a Gatorback and not Gates belt*

Last edited:

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
Originally posted by RedfireVert
Thanks everyone. I ordered Gates #4080740 from Autozone. It was $25.99 and will arrive in 2 days.

Thats a great price or I got ripped off. I payed $45 from napa.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by Club "33"
Thats a great price or I got ripped off. I payed $45 from napa.

Sorry for the confusion...I meant I bought the Gatorback belt and not Gates. At $26 we should all buy a spare.

71stang99

Established Member
I was wondering the same, I have that pully and want to make sure I am not receiving sloppage, I am at fault because I never asked the tune shop to give me the part numbers for the belt (napa) as well as the pully slip/non slip. Is there a way to find out the part numer by looking a the belt? I was wondering if I just bought the Gatorback belt I would be ok without the idler? I am wondering this because my dyno looks squiggly on the upper RPMs > 6K thanks

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I have the RR 2.95 pulley with the gates 740 belt. No idlers needed. The RR pulley is awesome. ZERO belt slippage.

Users who are viewing this thread