2.93 Pulley: Is a chip really needed?

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
Do you really need a chip if you put on a 2.93 pulley if you are going to run 93 octane all the time?

03DOHC

Established Member
Chip will give you a big increase in torque so it's worth thinking about just for that. You could get a Diablo Predator instead of a chip and reap the benefits of a chip program without installing a chip.

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Chip will give you a big increase in torque so it's worth thinking about just for that. You could get a Diablo Predator instead of a chip and reap the benefits of a chip program without installing a chip.

How much is the Predator?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTVenom
How much is the Predator?
GMS is selling them for $425 plus however much the tuners are charging for their programs. It isn't out yet, but I was told it is coming out next week for the 2003 Cobra's.:rolling:

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
The reason I'm asking is some people on here have said that their cars have run dangerously lean with the 2.93 w/o the chip while others have said it ran just fine. I don't know what to think.

Pyro

Established Member
I've been using a 2.93 for over 4 months with no evidence of problems. I DID go to a colder plug (see sig) to help prevent detonation. Keep in mind that I dont go to the strip and I'm conservative with the fun pedal. I usually dont go to full boost until I'm past 3000 rpm if I can help it...emphasize "IF". I check the plug now and then and there is no sign of detonation. Cracked or pink plugs are usually signs of detonation. It also depends on you other mods and mine are mild. I was further told that as long as you dont go to headers, throttle body or other mods it will be fine. I will eventually get a chip or a predator in the future though. It's far from optimum but I dont have the $$ to go optimum anyway.

Aharon

Established Member
I put my 2.93 and chip on while the car was sitting on the dyno. For kicks, we decided to do a dyno pull without the chip, and just the 2.93 to see how the chip adjusted A/F, and to see if it added more horsepower.

INSANLY LEAN! The car was so lean, that we had to back out at 3,000rpm's during the dyno. At 3,000rpm's the A/F spiked up to 16:1 !! I would hate to see how much leaner it got after 3k rpms.

Anyway, installed the chip, and it broght the A/F to the correct levels.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Thanks for that lean info.....but most likely ..as the rpms went up ...the lean condition would get less...atleast thats what I have seen, even on second run and up cars. The first run cars still run lean..but not as bad. I agree with going with a chip..if it were me...I would. My dad has the 2.93 on his..and doesnt want to chip it.....it does seem to run awesome and the pipes and plugs look fine too..with no detination under hard ripping through the gear. His is a first run Cobra.

Harry
2003 Cobra (20 lbs of boost and Nitrous)
http://members.aol.com/hotrodharrys/dragrace.mpg
That link is for my car racing..when it works..aol stinks at times

Users who are viewing this thread