2.9 Whipple Do's and Don'ts?

gtmustang00

Established Member
About to make the plunge to a 2.9 Whipple from a ported Eaton set up. Fuel system consists of Fore hat, GT pumps, dual fpdm's, wire upgrade. Maf has been upgraded as well. What throttle body will work on the Whipple? Other than a tune, what else will I need? Car has a 4lb lower pulley. What upper should I run? What rwhp is the fuel system good for?

Best/Cheapest place to buy? Ford Racing? Lethal?

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
I'm running the pulley that came with the 2.9 so it's a 3.50 and I also have a 4 lb lower. Seeing 22 lbs of boost. Running the revised billet flow throttle body that actually keeps the stock pedal height and throttle throw like stock. No other aftermarket throttle body does that. Some people don't care or don't notice. But I can. I'm very very very picky on how my car performs and feels.

Fuel system I have fore hat gt pumps size 8 fuel line rails and 80 lb injectors. I'm maxed out and going return now.

On pump gas the blower will still make good power but it needs more boost. My car is not a daily so I run high boost and I'm going to bump it up to 25 lbs soon with the new fuel system and e85. Everyone has there own opinion but on a stock motor the 2.9 has to be spun hard. E85 or race gas. That's me. It's like running a 3.4 whipple on pump. No lol.

You will love the 2.9. It made my 2.3 whipple feel weak. Both were ran on 22 23 lbs. enjoy it

stangfreak

Established Member
Shoot Jason an email. Comp speed and sound. I got mine from hp addicts. They closed down but Doug was the freakin man. I got a SICK price.

gtmustang00

Established Member
Just emailed him. What rwhp are you making? Did you max out the pumps or the injectors also?

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd make sure you get big enough injectors to do what your final goals are so the blower doesn't have to come off again.

Are you going standard 2.9? or Crusher?

gabe1530

Banned
do you only have pump gas available?
the biggest "don't" with the 2.9l is running it at 17lbs or less. it needs more boost otherwise it will be outperformed by smaller blowers (2.3l's).

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Or run more compression with less boost if you do have to run less boost. 14psi and 9:7 compression can be a lot of fun with E85

gtmustang00

Established Member
This is going on a stock motor. 93 pump gas. What upper pulley should I run? And what throttle body? I have a Dragon now but I read that you have to port the opening to the Whipple to fit. I was going to sell that with the current ported set up and buy a new throttle body.

Has anyone made a pulley size chart in reference with rwhp numbers?

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
This is going on a stock motor. 93 pump gas. What upper pulley should I run? And what throttle body? I have a Dragon now but I read that you have to port the opening to the Whipple to fit. I was going to sell that with the current ported set up and buy a new throttle body.

Has anyone made a pulley size chart in reference with rwhp numbers?

we basically answered those questions. If you want to run this blower on pump gas you need to remove your 4lb lower and stick with the stock pulley that comes with the blower. The 2.9 on pump gas will still be quick but it won't be working at its efficient level. This blower needs BOOST. e85 or race gas. Big blowers on low boost may put up a cool peak hp number but that doesn't mean anything.

either get an accufab, which I hate, or find a used a revised billetflow throttle body. My first post explains how the new revised billetflow throttle body works. quote from doug himself.

" We are the ONLY manufacturer to use proper cam geometry on an oval throttle body for proper pedal height and feel. We are the ONLY manufacturer to use proper cruise control button location for trouble free cruise control use. There is no need to worry about blade screws coming loose and going through your supercharger and destroying it as we crimp the retention screws just like OEM... can the others say that"

gtmustang00

Established Member
Well, I ordered the 2.9 blower. Will start looking for a used Billetflow throttle body or Accufab.

Is there a way to tell if the Billetflow is a revised one? I got a PM about a Billetflow and he never installed it as it won't work with his set up. Just want to make sure it won't have a hanging idle or sticking problems like some threads I have read.

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
if you can get that billetflow throttle body, i wouldnt hesitate on buying it. they are simply the best.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So can 10:1 and 24lbs of boost :burnout:

Well 21psi on the 9:7 engine with no head work and stock cams was making 800+rwhp.. And that was with a 3" pulley not even a 2.75".. So I would say that's going to be knocking on 850-875+ with stock heads and cams... Throw heads and cams on it I'd say add an extra 100rwhp...

gtmustang00

Established Member
What brand.size belt are you guys roughly running. I have Billetflow idlers. Will have stock lower pulley and I'll put the stock alternator pulley back on.

cj428mach

Established Member
Billetflow cranks out some crap too. Ive owned an accufab, billetflow, and vmp gt500 single blade tb and the billetflow was the only one with idle issues.

The accufab and gt500 can idle at 725 rpms no tuning tricks. The billetflow a hair under 1000 rpms with tuning. I got hosed on the billetflow when I sold it, and went back to the accufab.

Dealing with Doug at billetflow was also the worst customer experience I ve ever had. I now run metco idlers as well, lol

gtmustang00

Established Member
When I put the stock lower on, should I leave the 3.2 Metco pulley or put the stock pulley back on?

Users who are viewing this thread