2.9 Whipple advice

ARBOC1

Established Member
I am running a 2.9 Whipple with crusher kit. Right now I'm running the pulley that came with it, a 3.50 I think. I'd like to run more boost. I'm at 19psi right now. What size of pulley should I run to get closer to 22-24 psi?
*Note that I have only 91 octane where I am at.
I am not running any upgraded idler pulleys right at this point
I am running 591 RWHP with the current set up

Also what is the maximum horsepower you can run with the stock engine? I've heard 600 to 750

cobra fern

Established Member
In order for you to run that much boost you need more then 91 octane . You have to run race fuel . Invest in meth injection and you can get more power on pump gas as you can add a little more timing. IMHO I think the 2.9 whipple with a crusher Inlet is too big for a street car on pump gas . Whipple 2.3 would suite you better . 2.9 need to be spun hard to get them to work and then you need race gas in your car . Not the best decision for a street car imho

1S1K

Wicked Slow
Established Member
You are at the max for 91 octane at 19lbs boost. I would say for even 93 octane that would be the max. Check out my sig for pulley and boost numbers.

stangfreak

Established Member
Because you are running 91 octane, I bet you have a super safe tune. 19lbs on a 2.9 whipple you should be blowing away 590rwhp. Im at 22lbs of boost, but I run vp100. Im making 710rwhp and 650rwtq. also keep in mind my car, since day one, always had a soft motor. Im actually down 20hp 20tq.

These blowers need good gas and need to be spun. 91 octane I would have picked a smaller blower. 19lbs is a good start for the 2.9. You need to change over to e85 or race gas.

Users who are viewing this thread