2.9 Gen 4 Whipple Boost Question

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I’m going to be installing a standard inlet Gen 4 2.9 Whipple soon on my 04. The car has long tubes and a stock lower pulley. I’m going to a full return system and plan on running E85. What size upper pulley/boost combo are you guys running on stock heads/cam motors? How much much Boost is too much? I thought about running a 3.0 upper, but I thought that may be too much boost for stock heads/cams. I have searched but haven’t found a ton of info on the Gen 4 Blowers. Thanks!

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I'm not a expert but I would say maybe start with the stock lower / 3.5 upper and go from there. Maybe be ready with 1 or 2 size smaller to put on when your on the dyno. I guess it just depends on how much boost you want to make

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I'm not a expert but I would say maybe start with the stock lower / 3.5 upper and go from there. Maybe be ready with 1 or 2 size smaller to put on when your on the dyno. I guess it just depends on how much boost you want to make

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Problem is, I don’t have any speed shops where I’m at so Lund will be tuning it remotely. I was hoping some others had similar setups that could weigh in with what they are running. I have heard the new 2.9s need to really soon to be efficient, but I obviously don’t want to grenade my engine either.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
There are members here with the gen4 spinning it ~25psi with upper and lower combo.....on a stock motor and E85 just over 800 wheel. 04sleeper has tuned several of these. But I believe those were all crushers.

I have yet to see anyone with a gen4 standard inlet running E85. All are on pump gas or race gas. And I don't recall any running the stock lower.....but I'm sure it's possible with success. You should be able to spin it 22-24 on E85 without grenading a healthy stock motor.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Stock lower, 3.5 upper, stock manifolds, catted X, and Stingers. I routinely see 18psi on my logs. Should be going E85 in the fall.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
There are members here with the gen4 spinning it ~25psi with upper and lower combo.....on a stock motor and E85 just over 800 wheel. 04sleeper has tuned several of these. But I believe those were all crushers.

I have yet to see anyone with a gen4 standard inlet running E85. All are on pump gas or race gas. And I don't recall any running the stock lower.....but I'm sure it's possible with success. You should be able to spin it 22-24 on E85 without grenading a healthy stock motor.

That’s kind of the range I was thinking, just not sure if a 3.0 Pulley will be too much boost, not enough air without the Crusher/GT500 throttle body/intake

01yellercobra

Established Member
That’s kind of the range I was thinking, just not sure if a 3.0 Pulley will be too much boost, not enough air without the Crusher/GT500 throttle body/intake
When I spoke with Whipple I said I'll never take it over 22-23psi. They recommended the standard inlet for that reason. Which worked out since I preferred it.

I think one pulley size is roughly 2psi with the Whipples. So that might give you an idea.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
When I spoke with Whipple I said I'll never take it over 22-23psi. They recommended the standard inlet for that reason. Which worked out since I preferred it.

I think one pulley size is roughly 2psi with the Whipples. So that might give you an idea.

I just spoke to some else who said he made 700/600 with about the same mods I have, 3.5 upper/stock lower with E85 and standard inlet. He said he was told upping the boost won’t do much until you add more air

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

IMO that will be perfect with the 3.0....assuming you get it to hold without slipping. Should put you right in the sweetspot for the gen4 standard inlet/E85. But you guys are entering uncharted waters with the standard inlet, because most E85/high boost data so far is from the crusher guys. Looking forward to your results

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
IMO that will be perfect with the 3.0....assuming you get it to hold without slipping. Should put you right in the sweetspot for the gen4 standard inlet/E85. But you guys are entering uncharted waters with the standard inlet, because most E85/high boost data so far is from the crusher guys. Looking forward to your results

After speaking with a guy with a similar setup, like I mentioned above, I’m not sure I’ll move enough air for the boost level with the 3.0.pulley without the crusher setup. 3.5 upper on E85 700/600 still pretty solid for the time being.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I'm making 740/720 on a standard inlet Gen 4 2.9. 3.5/4LB pulley combo with long tubes gets me 21 psi. Stock heads and cams.

Those are good numbers! Maybe I should meet in the middle and go with the 3.250 and shoot for around 20lbs. Since the Longtubes will bring the boost down a little.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm making 740/720 on a standard inlet Gen 4 2.9. 3.5/4LB pulley combo with long tubes gets me 21 psi. Stock heads and cams.

Nice! I know whipple is going to err on the side of caution making recommendations....and for good reason. But I knew there was no way that blower was done at 18psi and 700/600. Hell, my 14 year old gen2 2.3 makes 680ft lbs at 22psi. There's no way this std inlet gen4 2.9 shouldn't kick its ass. Spin it on E85! The worst thing that happens is you go back to the previous pulley....and put the other one in the market. Worth the small investment to see what happens IMO

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's good to know. I have a set of mid lengths and a 4lb lower sitting in three garage.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
standard inlet Gen4 2.9 3.0 upper stock lower ~21psi running C16 ~700hp here

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have longtubes as well? Any issues?

BBK long tubes. knock on wood, none what so ever. This thing already hauls ass and I just bought a wet plate system for it. It's going to be violent and I can't wait..

Users who are viewing this thread