diablo chip
12" K&N with heatshield

on order
gatorbelt
free reburn for the chip
spark plugs
magnaflow catted X

either 2.80 or 2.93 pulley.

What are the up and down sides of both pulleys, what boost levels do they run at and are there problems down the road with the increase in boost, especially the 2.80? Thanks

Last edited:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I may put on the 2.80 upper and get the idler pulleys at the same time. I wouldn't get the 2.80 without the larger idlers... but then it will become blatently obvious that the pulley is on because the pulley shield won't fit with the larger idlers (i think(.

:beer:

untill then, I'm happy with the 2.93

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
There is only a 2 psi difference between the 2 pulleys. You will get belt slippage with both, you could possibly be spinning the blower past its efficiency with both. The real decision is whether to go with a lower, upper, or lower/upper pulley.
If you have decided to go with an upper pulley than you might as well get the 2.80.

Going from a 3.65 to a 2.93 is a pretty good difference, but going from a 2.93 to a 2.80 is not a big difference.

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Kevin i have to disagree with you that there is not much difference between the 2.93 and 2.80 pulley:shrug: I only picked up 1 more pound of boost but seat of pants was very noticeable and at the track i picked up at least 2-3mph.My friend Haveight picked up the same with his car.I have the bigger idlers on my car and i have no belt dust at all since i installed them.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by MineralGray03
I second that! Read my mods and you'll see why?:)

What am I missing. MineralGrey03 I'm looking at your sig and don't understand why your RWHP is so low. I am also gonna install the larger idlers soon. My pulley guard gets cleaned almost as often as the rest of the car does.LOL

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
HighRoller-- I didn't mean it to sound like I meant there is no difference. There is a good difference, thats why I use the 2.80. People have reported slippage with both pulleys. So I meant, if you are going to deal with the slippage of going with the upper pulley, you might as well get the 2.80.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Terry Reals informed me the pulley cover will fit back on with the idlers and using the 2.93 pulley, but listening to you guys sounds like it won't fit back on.

My order ... 2 idlers and 74" belt will be here on Friday. The cover has to fit back on

King03Cobra

Established Member
So is there much of a difference between the 2.80 & 2.93 ? Sounds like they both slip, one worse then the other meaning that the 2.80 is slipping more, isn't the HP pretty close to the same because of this ?

B

blown03cobra

Im going to end up putting the 2.8 on,,, I have the 2.9 right now and my idler pulley is to the max,,,, nearly NO play at all so I should be ok with the stock one thank goodness..... as far as pulley cover is concerned, I took mine off for good as soon as I got the pulley installed.... I like being able to torque down the DUB bolts everyonce in a while and inspect the pulley/belt with nothing in the way.

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
So basically with the SFHP Idler Pullies a 2.8 Pulley wont cause Belt to SLIP? Am i correct..

Also what size lower Pulley is recommended if I were to go with a 2.8 upper before the Eaton gets over-dosed? 4lb lower?:??:

Last edited:

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
03 Snake

That is what I am talking about. I truly feel that I was getting belt slippage when I dynoed. My torque is about right, but my numbers where low, so I called Terry and he recommended getting the idler pullies to eliminate the slippage. I installed them on my car two weeks ago, and I have noticed some residue, but a whole lot less than when the idlers wasn't installed. I do feel a great deal of difference in power and performance. I also switched mufflers, which should help also to bring my numbers up.

T3 Cobra

I'm sorry if I confused you about the pulley cover, but I meant the idler pulleys causes the cover not to fit. Not the 2.80 or 2.93 pullies. The idler pulleys are way bigger than stock idler pullies, which makes the cover fit extremely close to the idler pullies and belt. I recommend not to put the cover on because this might cause some severe problems at acceleration and if the belt hits the cover, then bye bye belt.

trey193

Established Member
Mineral could U tell a difference by discarding the flowmasters?? It must be true it seems all the cars that seem to be down on power at the dyno run flowmasters??? Mineral what did U go to muffler wise? Thanks Trey

Pyro

Established Member
Mineral, I am interested to since I am using Flowmaster 2-chambers and I am putting in a 2.93" pulley this weekend.

Thanks
Randy

Sonic Storm

Established Member
I might as well try and sneak a question in here since this thread deals with pulleys. I am currently running the 2.93" pulley with the stock idlers and belts.

I want to go to the 2.8" pulley, 4lb lower pulley, 77" belts, 100mm idler. Does that sound correct? SHould I make some alterations?

Also, what kind of HP and TQ differences are we looking at from going from a 2.93" to a 2.8" w/ 4lb. lower? I have heard the torque shootsup and the HP gets a few extra ponies?

Thanks

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
I was also wondering what the 2.80 and 4lb lower made. What boost level does that run at?

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
Have the JDM 2.8 pulley and South fla larger idler pulleys. I have the stock cover on and it fits fine. Went with So. Fla gatorback belt. So far evrything seems great, but only have a few miles on itsince mods. Will dyno after more miles on it, but sotp seems very strong. Went with BFG drag radials 315/30/17 on rear wheels to counter wheel hop. Love this car!

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by red03cobra
Have the JDM 2.8 pulley and South fla larger idler pulleys. I have the stock cover on and it fits fine. Went with So. Fla gatorback belt. So far evrything seems great, but only have a few miles on itsince mods. Will dyno after more miles on it, but sotp seems very strong. Went with BFG drag radials 315/30/17 on rear wheels to counter wheel hop. Love this car!

How close is that belt to the cover?

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
I bought the 2.80 pulley, tr6 plugs, idiler pulleys and 170 thermostat.

The only question I had was is the 2.80 too much boost for the engine and does it over run the blower?

Anyone have problems with the 2.80 besides slippage, anything like an engine blowing up or something severe? Is something likely to happen with the pulley or is it considered safe?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 00SVTdubs
I bought the 2.80 pulley, tr6 plugs, idiler pulleys and 170 thermostat.

The only question I had was is the 2.80 too much boost for the engine and does it over run the blower?

The 2.8 doesn't overspeed the blower but gets really close to the edge w/o falling in. As it was explained to me the 2.8 spins the blower @ approx 17.5K rpm. @ 18K the blower loses efficiency and any additional boost will not result in increased hp. A 3.1 upper with a 4 lb lower will net you the same boost as the 2.8 alone. I haven't noticed any slip with my belt as yet but time will tell. IMO I wouldn't be so worried about too much boost for the engine rather I'd worry about grenading the Eaton from un-nessisary and inefficient rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread