2.80/4lb same boost as 2.93/6lb???

bhollie

Established Member
Im thinking of switching pulley sizes to reduce the heat soak on my eaton and keep the same boost level and HP/torque
Would I be at the same boost level and HP/torque with the 2.93/6lb lower vs. the 2.80/4lb lower. or would the upper be a 3.0 or bigger?
Im trying not to get a chip reburn as well.
thanks.

eaglesnick

Established Member
I don't believe changing BOTH pullies will make a difference in heat soak 17 psi is 17 psi. If you trying ti minimize belt slip that one thing, but heat soak comes as a result of boost and blower efficiancy.

eaglesnick

Established Member
I don't believe changing BOTH pullies will make a difference in heat soak 17 psi is 17 psi. If you trying to minimize belt slip that one thing, but heat soak comes as a result of boost and blower efficiancy.

bhollie

Established Member
ttt

well, im not having any belt slip so should i just leave it the same? I dont daily drive it or race it that much so its not that big of an issue, I just thought it may let the eaton perform a little better.

eaglesnick

Established Member
There's an old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it." If you have some money to spent on new upper and lower pullies might I suggest a larger heat exchanger, that WILL reduce heat soak. :beer: :beer:

bhollie

Established Member
ttt

good thinkin, by the time I spent money on an upper and lower pulley change plus a belt i could have bought a heat exchanger.

bhollie

Established Member
ttt

i thought about that too, didnt know if I would get more hp/less torque, or the other way around.
i thought with the bigger lower it would make more torque but Im not certain.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Boost goes linearly w/ the pulley ratio. So the boost (and hp and tq) vs rpm will be the same so long as the ratio of the two pullies is the same. Otherwise, except for issues like belt slip, it doesn't matter how you get there, i.e., if (Lower pulley dia)/(Upper pulley dia) is the same, you will get the same result. So if you can find out what the diam of those lower pullies are, you can answer this question easily.

Users who are viewing this thread