2.7 vs 2.8

chrisc75

Established Member
soo i ended up buying a used terminator and right now it has a 2.80 pulley and is putting out 15psi. Was wondering if it would worth it to run a 2.7? how much gain would i get from swaping it over

black 10th vert

Established Member
Not worth it in my opinion. You would be spinning it too fast to be in peak efficiency, so you would end up just heat soaking it, with very little power gains. You also would likely be dealing with belt slip issues, which would cause you to actually lose boost. I'm not positive on this, but I think you would also need to machine the snout to run a diameter that small. A better move for you would be to add a larger lower pulley if you want to up the boost. Are you ported? If not, that would be a better way to improve it before even messing with pullies.

TVSCobra

Established Member
what other mods to you have? I only see 12.5 down here in GA, no vacuum leaks, boost actuator set correctly, boost bypass mod(the correct way) and mods in my sig. If you still have cats then that would make sense.

chrisc75

Established Member
comp stage 2 cams
diablo
i do have a larger lower pulley but not sure on the size i hit 15psi easy
also stock blower no port

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
im pretty sure the gains from going from a 2.8 upper to a 2.7 would prob not even be very noticeable. there isnt much of a difference between the two sizes.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, i would keep the 2.8 for now. i havea 2.80 upper and 3lb lower, hitting 14psi, though my Eaton is ported.

chrisc75

Established Member
i wish i could find what lower i have thers no marking what so ever and im new in the cobra game so not sure

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Not worth it in my opinion. You would be spinning it too fast to be in peak efficiency, so you would end up just heat soaking it, with very little power gains. You also would likely be dealing with belt slip issues, which would cause you to actually lose boost. I'm not positive on this, but I think you would also need to machine the snout to run a diameter that small. A better move for you would be to add a larger lower pulley if you want to up the boost. Are you ported? If not, that would be a better way to improve it before even messing with pullies.

Everything u just said here is not true, Ive never had belt slip or heat soak with mine unless tons of driving and u dont need to machine the snout. To the OP u would gain very lil in HP but u would gain some, and if u have a lower I would get the blower ported if u do want to make the switch like posted above.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
The power gain wouldnt be noticable. I switched from a 2.80 to a BF 2.76 and it was mainly just so I could have a better pulley on there. That would be the only thing I would suggest switching for

2003cobraguy

Established Member
im running a 2.8 @ 13.8 psi max,
how are you hitting 15?

i swear to god i think my previous owner ported my sht without telling me

03yellow

Established Member
I run lower boost than most. No cats dropped about 1.5 lbs. Of boost. However give me a good cold, dry morning and ll see almost 2 lbs more boost than in 90 degree temps. Hot air drops boost.
Low boost and good hp numbers are what you want; looks like you got that.
im running a 2.8 @ 13.8 psi max,
how are you hitting 15?

i swear to god i think my previous owner ported my sht without telling me

Tims97SVT

Established Member
You should see MORE boost with a port? I thought you would see less boost with a port. More volume would make less pressure.

You would make less boost with a port. OP you must have a 2.8 and a 2lb. Your not going to make 15lb on just a 2.8. It is not worth the switch. Thoes who say you will have belt slip do not know what they are talking about. A good 2.76 ring and tenshioner will not slip.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
You would make less boost with a port. OP you must have a 2.8 and a 2lb. Your not going to make 15lb on just a 2.8. It is not worth the switch. Thoes who say you will have belt slip do not know what they are talking about. A good 2.76 ring and tenshioner will not slip.

From what I know this is incorrect, if ur blades are still good and ur blower isnt wore out you will see more boost on a ported blower, if you see less then ur blower is wore out and air is getting by resulting in less boost and HP.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
You should see MORE boost with a port? I thought you would see less boost with a port. More volume would make less pressure.
Terminator FAQs go to FAQ and go down to 3.6.1 upper and lower pulleys shows u all combos with boost gains. 2.76 an 4lb makes 16.2 and 2.8 with 2lb makes 15.0. if u make less boost you would loose power. More volume makes more boost unless ur blower is wore out.

Users who are viewing this thread