2.65 vmp vs gen 3 2.9 whipple

GodStang

Established Member
Ok so no max RPM according to VMP...lol.

Said they've had guys run the smallest upper with 6lb lowers.

I've never seen KB or whipple advertise anything past 18k. Vmp just told me they dont have a max rpm.

Regarding moving air, of the smaller blowers the TVS should outperform if you get the bigger inlet and TB.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Remember the Max RPMs is just a designation by the manufacture. Probably due to bearing and component life and heat created on the components along with amount of air and efficiency area. Also there is a point where the blower will make more heat at higher rpms then more horsepower. Of course your cooling setup and help negate this. In theory if you get a upper pulley small enough or a lower pulley big enough you could spin any of the blowers to 30K, 40K, 50K. Of course the amount of heat would be insane and power would not be good.

On Eaton's Website there is a Max RPM (Advise RPM) for the TVS rotor pack. VMP should of said this is the efficiency area of the TVS but you can go past that.

Not to hijack this thread, but since you have run so many combinations and seem to have good experience with the smaller blowers and RPM, what is the diff in ceilings with all 3 blowers...2.3 Whipple, 2.2 KB and 2.3 TVS? I know KB advertises the max rotor rack RPM to be 18,000 but practically everyone who still runs that blower, myself included, spins it closer to if not a hair over 20,000 RPM.

KB also says max street boost is 18psi. Now a days most people run more than 20psi on the street in the corn areas. Don't even ask what I am running on the streets...

It all depends on your complete setup. As you go higher in blower RPM range you create more heat. As long as you can get rid of that heat it won't be as much of a problem and you will continue to make power. I don't think there is a ceiling but there is an area where it would be better going to a bigger blower but that all depends on your setup. Also it depends on what fuel you are running. Remember though components have a use life and heat on the components will seriously lessen the life.

One of my old setups I was a bit past the 18K RPMs. My cooling was not up to par and my IATs were high. I had the boost but was creating so much heat that once I went past 17 degrees of timing my car dropped in horsepower. I feel for that setup I would of been better with less blower rpms (less boost) and more timing. A good balance of the two.

In the end while blower choice is super important it comes down to complete combos.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Some of what you're speaking to reminds me of the old Screamin Eaton days when folks were spinning the crap out of the Heaton but adding nitrous on top to regain some level of that lost efficiency. Man it would make killer power. Man I loved that setup, ported/upper/lower/spray combo.

Remember the Max RPMs is just a designation by the manufacture. Probably due to bearing and component life and heat created on the components along with amount of air and efficiency area. Also there is a point where the blower will make more heat at higher rpms then more horsepower. Of course your cooling setup and help negate this. In theory if you get a upper pulley small enough or a lower pulley big enough you could spin any of the blowers to 30K, 40K, 50K. Of course the amount of heat would be insane and power would not be good.

On Eaton's Website there is a Max RPM (Advise RPM) for the TVS rotor pack. VMP should of said this is the efficiency area of the TVS but you can go past that.

KB also says max street boost is 18psi. Now a days most people run more than 20psi on the street in the corn areas. Don't even ask what I am running on the streets...

It all depends on your complete setup. As you go higher in blower RPM range you create more heat. As long as you can get rid of that heat it won't be as much of a problem and you will continue to make power. I don't think there is a ceiling but there is an area where it would be better going to a bigger blower but that all depends on your setup. Also it depends on what fuel you are running. Remember though components have a use life and heat on the components will seriously lessen the life.

One of my old setups I was a bit past the 18K RPMs. My cooling was not up to par and my IATs were high. I had the boost but was creating so much heat that once I went past 17 degrees of timing my car dropped in horsepower. I feel for that setup I would of been better with less blower rpms (less boost) and more timing. A good balance of the two.

In the end while blower choice is super important it comes down to complete combos.

Users who are viewing this thread