2.5 inch x pipe to 3 inch catback?

StevemcQueen

SVT MVP
Established Member
Im in the market for a new catback. I've got a bbk x pipe that's 2.5 inches. I was thinking about going with a 3 inch mac system. Will these two bolt up with each other? Also do you think that the 3 inch piping well make it extremely loud. The car is a daily driver making around 600 hp. I would like the extra exhaust flow but don't want to piss off my neighbors to much. Right now I've got flowmasters in the car :nonono:. Which I hate and are pretty quiet. I don't care if it's loud driving but wouldn't want it to be overwhelmingly loud at idle. My idle is about 650 rpms. I'm sure you guys have some good advise. Thanks. oh yeah the x pipe is catted.

Last edited:

Emwun Garand

Established Member
It's ball and flange so mating up wouldn't be an issue. I can't imagine 3" being significantly louder than your current setup, but the MAC tone is more aggressive than the flowmaster. Does your x pipe have cats? As long as you're not running headers or the M55 catback, it shouldn't be disgustingly loud.

Good luck finding a MAC 3" system though. It took me a month to find one and I had to buy it used.

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
If it's catted it shouldn't be TOO loud, I had this exact setup on my Cobra, had the BBK L/T's, BBK off road X-pipe and MAC 3 inch catback, it was STUPID loud lol.

Satin03

Established Member
It's hit and miss as to whether a 2.5" to 3.0" ball and flange when mated together and provide a good seal. However, Mac installs a removable cone reducer on the inlet side of the catback for this very reason. They realize that most people are running a 2.5" mid pipe. This will enable the proper seal.

Last edited:

jlbush

Established Member
Im in the market for a new catback. I've got a bbk x pipe that's 2.5 inches. I was thinking about going with a 3 inch mac system. Will these two bolt up with each other? Also do you think that the 3 inch piping well make it extremely loud. The car is a daily driver making around 600 hp. I would like the extra exhaust flow but don't want to piss off my neighbors to much. Right now I've got flowmasters in the car :nonono:. Which I hate and are pretty quiet. I don't care if it's loud driving but wouldn't want it to be overwhelmingly loud at idle. My idle is about 650 rpms. I'm sure you guys have some good advise. Thanks. oh yeah the x pipe is catted.

I don't think it's going to be too loud for what you want...You want it louder and it will be louder for sure especially when you get into some boost :rockon: But with it having cats it will still be somewhat tame when you just come cruising into the neighborhood...

I had the same setup as you and didn't like it either...I went with an O/R H and kept the flowmaster 40s and I gotta say that I like how it sounds and it's pretty loud when I get into it...I feel it's the exhaust that my Dad would be completely happy with (loud enough when you get on it, but kinda quiet just cruising, and NO DRONE!) I however want to get it even louder because well I'm young and like loud right now! lol My buddy has an 04 Mach 1 with O/R H and MAC 3" and he loves it...I really like it too and he's definitely louder than me in most cases until I start really forcing some air thru my pipes when I get into boost then I'm louder than him...I know it's not apples to apples and he's dealing with an O/R H but I bring it up because I feel he's just on the borderline of being "neighborhood friendly", any louder and he might get some complaints...With a catted X I'm sure you'll be quieter than him just coming in the neighborhood reasonably...Of course I know how it's a very opinionated subject but that's my 2cents...

Users who are viewing this thread