2.3 Whipple

bd93cobra

Established Member
I recently purchased what I was told was a 2.3 Whipple, Gen 1 blower for my 2003 Cobra. As a result of damage during shipment the blower was sent to Whipple for a rebuild. The blower was completely rebuilt and to my surprise the blower turned out not to be a Gen 1 W140AX but a 2300AX blower, pre-Gen I, one of the first lysholm compressors offered by Whipple for the 03/04 cobra. I know the Gen II is a little better than the Gen I and the Gen I is a little better than the 2300AX as far as output. I plan on having my car tuned on pump gas as soon as I get my fuel system finished up but I was wondering if I should show up at the tuner with a 3.25"/4# or a 3.00"/4# lower pulley combination? I am looking for around 19 psi. After doing a search I found several threads for the W140AX but not the 2300AX. Thanks.

mach1033

Established Member
Couldn't anyone at whipple help you with pulley sizes for this blower? Also when you bought the blower was this being sold as a Gen 1? I take it that it does not have the sight glass in the front correct? Also I will be shipping my blower to a member on here this week and i have every intention on having it insured for the price I sold it for. Sorry for your mishap.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
pulley size

the 3.25 with 4lb. lower should yield 18-19 psi and 3.00 should yield 19-20psi depending on your headers ,typically 1/4 inch plus or minus on pulley size is good for 2lb. of boost, so if you add a 1/4 inch you loose 2lb. if you take away a 1/4 inch on the upper pulley you gain 2lb. (of boost)

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'd try the 3.25/4lb combo for 19lbs. My 2.3 made 22lbs with a 3.25/6lb combo.

Also I don't think it's ever been proven which Whipple's make more power than the others at a given boost level. You still got a great blower no matter when it was made. Plenty of the first ones have made well north of 600hp.

GodStang

Established Member
I'd try the 3.25/4lb combo for 19lbs. My 2.3 made 22lbs with a 3.25/6lb combo.

Also I don't think it's ever been proven which Whipple's make more power than the others at a given boost level. You still got a great blower no matter when it was made. Plenty of the first ones have made well north of 600hp.

There was one dynosheet at one time that someone ran a Whipple 2300AX and than swapped out for the Gen 1 W140AX and ran the same engine and same boost. The W140AX made more power through out the entire curve. A few people also "claimed" better track times by a very slight bit. Not sure if it is enough to say it was the blower for sure.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Okay that's the last time I'll say that. Thanks for correcting me.:beer:

GodStang

Established Member
^Okay that's the last time I'll say that. Thanks for correcting me.:beer:

Take it with a grain of salt. In was done in 2005 or 2006. Can not remember who did it or how honest of a test it was. If I remember though it seemed to be an honest test.

bd93cobra

Established Member
Couldn't anyone at whipple help you with pulley sizes for this blower? Also when you bought the blower was this being sold as a Gen 1? I take it that it does not have the sight glass in the front correct? Also I will be shipping my blower to a member on here this week and i have every intention on having it insured for the price I sold it for. Sorry for your mishap.

I called Whipple and they said the Gen 1 W140AX put out 1-2 lbs more than the 2300AX and the Gen II put out 1-2 lbs more than the Gen I. The 2300AX does not have the sight glass, but I was told that some Gen I's don't have the sight glass. UPS footed the bill for the rebuild on my blower but only after dealing with the seller and UPS for 4 months. Instead of an 8,000 mile blower I ended up with a completely rebuilt one so I am not going to complain.

bd93cobra

Established Member
the 3.25 with 4lb. lower should yield 18-19 psi and 3.00 should yield 19-20psi depending on your headers ,typically 1/4 inch plus or minus on pulley size is good for 2lb. of boost, so if you add a 1/4 inch you loose 2lb. if you take away a 1/4 inch on the upper pulley you gain 2lb. (of boost)

I am running 1 3/4" mid-lenght headers if that helps any. I could bring the 3.00 pulley along for the ride just in case I need it.

mach1033

Established Member
I called Whipple and they said the Gen 1 W140AX put out 1-2 lbs more than the 2300AX and the Gen II put out 1-2 lbs more than the Gen I. The 2300AX does not have the sight glass, but I was told that some Gen I's don't have the sight glass. UPS footed the bill for the rebuild on my blower but only after dealing with the seller and UPS for 4 months. Instead of an 8,000 mile blower I ended up with a completely rebuilt one so I am not going to complain.

Just curious did they build it with the Gen 2 rotor's?

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Pretty funny, I'm going through the same thing. I just got my blower in the mail last week and was told that it was a gen one but is not. But like Posi said it should make good power anyway but that fact that it was missing pieces is what really made me mad. I figured I would share...

img1868c.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bd93cobra

Established Member
Pretty funny, I'm going through the same thing. I just got my blower in the mail last week and was told that it was a gen one but is not. But like Posi said it should make good power anyway but that fact that it was missing pieces is what really made me mad. I figured I would share...

img1868c.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks just like mine but yours has more bling. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread