2.3 Whipple efficiency question

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The stock motor can also do so much. I did overspin the 2.9. My tuner said my stock motor right now is just all pumped up. Its all stock, your shoving 25lbs of boost through it, it can only do so much. I know the fuel system doesn't make more power, but, we didnt know how the stock motor and the 2.9 would react to the big boost. I have owned this car since 2003 so, I have no motivation to tinker with it, its good for now. I may get another mustang. we will see.

stangfreak, did you not ever try E85? I thought it was available in NY....but maybe it's not widely available. I still think you would surpass those ms109 #s. I'd give E85 a try and remote tune it with 04sleeper. Keep your current gen2 2.9 for one more try at it

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Nice! Thanks for posting your setup/mods/power. If you're getting 22psi consistently across the band with factory air inlet, that makes me think it's more of a slipping issue... I'd venture to say my JLT RAI and BA2600 can flow more CFM than a factory tube and MAF? I also have the stock lower/tensioner if you've read the whole thread, and a snub idler from BF, 100mm. I sold my 2.7 RR pulley today actually (that I never ran because it made too much boost for 93), but will try a griptec in 2.85" and a better tensioner. The RPM belts seem great too, albeit costly, but I've read mixed info on their use from whipple themselves.

Yes, I think you have plenty of maf and intake. That's not the issue IMO. It slipping is certainly a possibility....although it looks like that graph indicates a VERY smooth drop off....I kept thinking you'd see a more jagged indication on that dyno sheet, but of course, different dyno's, different smoothing factors. Who knows for sure, but maybe that griptec will be the ticket.

Interesting about whipple and the rpm....what did they say about it? Mines ran great with the RR and it's even smaller at 2.6

04GTMustang

Established Member
The stock motor can also do so much. I did overspin the 2.9. My tuner said my stock motor right now is just all pumped up. Its all stock, your shoving 25lbs of boost through it, it can only do so much. I know the fuel system doesn't make more power, but, we didnt know how the stock motor and the 2.9 would react to the big boost. I have owned this car since 2003 so, I have no motivation to tinker with it, its good for now. I may get another mustang. we will see.

Yeah, good point. That's the problem with this hobby (for some) to just keep chasing the fractions of percentages. I could totally just leave it alone right now...

I think that might show you hit the limit of the blower. With the same correction and set up but with two more pounds you didn’t gain anything.

Well the correction factor if I understand it correctly is there to level the playing field, so it doesn't matter if its 20 degrees and -3000 DA or 90 degrees and 5000 DA, the dyno shows the same number for that car. The uncorrected number shows the bigger picture. The car was able to make 730 whp that day.

Yes, I think you have plenty of maf and intake. That's not the issue IMO. It slipping is certainly a possibility....although it looks like that graph indicates a VERY smooth drop off....I kept thinking you'd see a more jagged indication on that dyno sheet, but of course, different dyno's, different smoothing factors. Who knows for sure, but maybe that griptec will be the ticket.

Interesting about whipple and the rpm....what did they say about it? Mines ran great with the RR and it's even smaller at 2.6

I read a post on here, I'll try and find it, but someone had stated whipple no longer recommends the use of RPM belts with their blowers? Maybe pulleys? Not sure exactly. I can't see why, they're great for boosted applications.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I read a post on here, I'll try and find it, but someone had stated whipple no longer recommends the use of RPM belts with their blowers? Maybe pulleys? Not sure exactly. I can't see why, they're great for boosted applications.

Ya if you find that thread, post a link

Here's another member that went griptec/RPM with a 2.9 whipple. Really shocking results. Tiny upper, stock lower....immediate 28psi on the hit and then not only holds....but continues to hunker down and hit 30psi by redline! The most boost I've ever seen from a factory lower/small upper combo

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...gates-rpm-belt-griptec-vendors.1184998/page-4

04GTMustang

Established Member
Ya if you find that thread, post a link

Here's another member that went griptec/RPM with a 2.9 whipple. Really shocking results. Tiny upper, stock lower....immediate 28psi on the hit and then not only holds....but continues to hunker down and hit 30psi by redline! The most boost I've ever seen from a factory lower/small upper combo

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...gates-rpm-belt-griptec-vendors.1184998/page-4

I stumbled on that thread too, that's awesome. I'd love to datalog my boost before and after on the street, but there isn't an easy way to do it without buying extra sensors and splicing shit, and messing with my X3 (analog cable and something else needed I think). I have a speedhut boost gauge that uses one of their pressure sensors which I have tee'd into my factor line going to the dash gauge. I wish I could just plug into that sensor and log it.

Here's the thread, post #27.

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...tandard-and-rpm-for-you-blower.1140578/page-2

I saw a 75.1" RPM belt on rockauto for like $46. Once I get the new tensioner on and the griptec ill have to see where the tensioner indicator is sitting on my current 75" belt. If its on the low side, I'll grab that. Here's the chart for the RPM belts:

http://www.gatesracing.com/assets/GatesRacing/files/428-3291 RPM Belt Dimension List LORES.pdf

stangfreak

Established Member
stangfreak, did you not ever try E85? I thought it was available in NY....but maybe it's not widely available. I still think you would surpass those ms109 #s. I'd give E85 a try and remote tune it with 04sleeper. Keep your current gen2 2.9 for one more try at it

yea I never gave the e85 a try. I was talking to justin at fore. I figured I asked since he is the owner. He told me if my car sits a lot, which is does, not to use e85. Then I keep gettting mixed answers on VP C85. someone told me they add an additiive to it to protect any damage e85 does and safe to leave in the car and others told me no. so I never really tried it.

I won't lie, the thought of doing a 3.0L whipple has crossed my mind.

maybe you can give me some help or advice and thoughts. so this is what I am thinking. I was thinking about getting a used 18+ mustang gt. Make it a strictly pump gas car. Not sure on the power adder. try to keep the cobra and leave it as is. OR.......Not buy the 18 mustang, and build the motor on my cobra. boss block, custom cams, ported heads, little higher compression, and a 3.0L whipple.

04GTMustang

Established Member
yea I never gave the e85 a try. I was talking to justin at fore. I figured I asked since he is the owner. He told me if my car sits a lot, which is does, not to use e85. Then I keep gettting mixed answers on VP C85. someone told me they add an additiive to it to protect any damage e85 does and safe to leave in the car and others told me no. so I never really tried it.

I won't lie, the thought of doing a 3.0L whipple has crossed my mind.

maybe you can give me some help or advice and thoughts. so this is what I am thinking. I was thinking about getting a used 18+ mustang gt. Make it a strictly pump gas car. Not sure on the power adder. try to keep the cobra and leave it as is. OR.......Not buy the 18 mustang, and build the motor on my cobra. boss block, custom cams, ported heads, little higher compression, and a 3.0L whipple.

Sounds like a great topic for a new thread ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread