2.3 or 2.6 KB upgrade??

frogsdime

Established Member
So I got my L on Xmas eve. Nice xmas for me!!! Now I am ready to mod this beast. I am going to go with the KB 2.3 or the 2.6 for my first mod.

My question is which one should I go with. I dont plan on building the block ( at least not yet maybe later on) I would like to get about 450RWHP or more but no more than 500 as I will be driving this daily. I would like to get into the mid 12's which is feasible on a stock block with some Drag Radials. But still want to have room for improvement when I am ready to build the bottom end.

And of course I would get bigger injectos and the boost a pump, bigger MAF if needed, gauges to match, traction bars and some bolt ons later on. To follow all this up with a nice dyno tune from the local shop.

Now I have done alot of research on this site especially and have read the FAQ sticky write up (which is a badass writeup for newcomers) But just wanted to get some opinions on which one to go with for my application. THX for the help.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Ive never owned a KB yet, but this is my impression of most things in life...

Why take something smaller and make it work harder and then call it 'efficient?'. Why not just take the bigger one and make it work not-so hard if you dont really need the full benifit of it?

I say get the 2.6 and 'aim' for a HP mark that you like. That way later down the line if you get a different DD and keep the truck, you always have more room for improvement!

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
A 2.3KB on a stock block will hardly be "working".....And if he wants to work the blower then his motor will go up in smoke. I'd say go with the 2.3KB or Whipple since you dont plan on building it. Plus the 2.6 is not that much more efficient even on a built motor since the heads cant flow the air the blower is moving (at high boost levels)........Just make sure you get all the fuel and MAF reqs. Good luck man and you'll love it. Hell, I ran a best of 11.67 on my stock motor KB @ 17psi.

SVTZEUS

SVT Lightning
Established Member
I dont know about the 2.6KB on a stock block. My friend has a Harley that had a 2.3KB and it put down 445 RWHP...then he took it off sold it and bought a 2.6KB, now his Harley has 406 Rwhp on the same mods as before, no changes but the KB..oh yeah, and we taught his boost on the 2.6KB was low, but no, 14#'s....You should research what you really need to make a 2.6KB work but I personally own a 2.3KB on my L and have 475RWHP with about 530 lbs of torque on 12-13 #'s

SVTZEUS

SVT Lightning
Established Member
Hey FUZZIE what did you do to get 17 psi??? Did you have a 2.3KB?? or what lower pulley did you have?

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
SVTZEUS said:
Hey FUZZIE what did you do to get 17 psi??? Did you have a 2.3KB?? or what lower pulley did you have?

It's weird BUT I got 17psi on a 3.25 upper and 4lb lower. This is with headers and hi flow cats. Also had a JLP sheetmetal plenum.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
yes I had a 2.3 kb on my stock motor then after about 1 month on my built motor I moved up to the Whipple. Runs much stronger with the whipple.

frogsdime

Established Member
damn good suggestions. I understood that the 2.6 will make better numbers bc it will not have to spin as fast as the 2.3 to make more power.

I do believe that the 2.3 will do everything that I need it to do and much more. Lets say on a Built MOTOR whats the is the MAX hp I could make with the 2.3. From what I understand around 650 max with it before it becomes in effecient at making boost.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
The 2.6 will make more power than the 2.3 but its gonna take a little more power to turn. The 2.3 has gone low 10's on boost alone...........How far do you wanna take it????? Like I said. The 2.3 is gonna take you as far as you wanna go. Have you not considerd a whipple??? They have proven to be faster then a KB. Watch this video.

http://video.lightningrodder.com/video/21620431-f360-4f2a-af91-9881000085ca.htm

frogsdime

Established Member
that is damn good video. I would really just looking for mids 12s on a stock block which is achieveable. So it looks like the 2.3 will be perfect for me. Just didnt want to spend the xtra money and not really ever need it. And besdies later on if I do decide to go more then F&&! it I will.

But to start out will go with the 2.3, injectors, MAF, boost a pump or 255, probably headers. THen just bolt-ons later as I go. OF course I will have it tuned after this.

One other question once I get the 2.3 KB and injectors will I be able to drive it ( baby iT down to the dyno) or will it have to be tuned for the KB and the bigger injectors??? I woould install these and like to be able drive to the dyno shop ( about an hour away) instead of having it towed or someone esle installing the mods??

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Go with the twin pumps instead of a boost a pump. And I'd advise against driving it an hour away UNLESS you have a hand held tuner where you can take some fuel out and monitor A/F via wideband gauge. Otherwise its just gonna be too rich to drive that far.

fullboogie

Established Member
You don't need a KB or Whipple to go mid 12's. Bolt-ons and a tune will get you there, assuming you intend to use slicks.

Listen to Fuzzie - he's had all three blowers and his truck is the bomb.

SVT99RED

Established Member
I went the 2.6 on a stock block and never looked back. Once you get the power you "think" you want you will want more! I was pegging my maf and pulled 466 rwhp and 522rwtq with 14#'s no supporting mods like injectors or pumps or maf extender. I say if there is a chance you want to go bigger then get the 2.6 at only 900 bucks more it would be worth not having to buy another blower!

Lightning_Bolt

2002 Lightning
Established Member
frogsdime said:
I would really just looking for mids 12s on a stock block which is achieveable. So it looks like the 2.3 will be perfect for me. Just didnt want to spend the xtra money and not really ever need it.
If you dont want to spend more money than you need to for 12s and 450hp look at this:
KB vs Ported Blower:

Both need:
pulleys upper + belt = $125
pulley lower + belt = $250
MAF = 250

Then they need:

Ported Blower,tb,plenum = $500 on sale
handheld tuner = $400
= Approx: 450hp = $1525

vs
KB = $2600
pumps = $300
Injectors = $400
dyno tune = $600
SBTB + Plenium = $500
May need built block = $3500 to $5000
= Approx: 550hp = $5000 to $9600

So that next 100hp is going to cost some $$$.
* this may not be exact numbers but it is close ballpark figures.

frogsdime

Established Member
some great feedback.

I dont want to go with bolt ons and I do realize that I can get mid 12s with just them. I want to meet my goal and have the extra cash so I fugred just start with the blower.

I am still little torn b/w the 2.3 and 2.6. With just the stock motor and the 2.3 or 2.6 I can get the horsepower I want with no supporting MODS except for a tune? Or would I need anything else? My cash limit is 5k so I dont cant go over that. The dyno is going to run me 500-600. So really I have 4400 to spend on the blower and supporting mods.

So how much HP can the 2.3 make maxed out? How about the 2.6? Now I realize the 2.6 will do alot more HP and do it more effeciently.....

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Seen the 2.3 make 660 or so and I think Ronnie made close to 700 on his 2.6. There are quite a few issues left to be worked out on how to make a motor flow with a 2.6. All blowers are very close but I just perfer the look of a whipple over all others. And it keeps proving fast times without locking up.

SVT99RED

Established Member
frogsdime said:
some great feedback.

I dont want to go with bolt ons and I do realize that I can get mid 12s with just them. I want to meet my goal and have the extra cash so I fugred just start with the blower.

I am still little torn b/w the 2.3 and 2.6. With just the stock motor and the 2.3 or 2.6 I can get the horsepower I want with no supporting MODS except for a tune? Or would I need anything else? My cash limit is 5k so I dont cant go over that. The dyno is going to run me 500-600. So really I have 4400 to spend on the blower and supporting mods.

So how much HP can the 2.3 make maxed out? How about the 2.6? Now I realize the 2.6 will do alot more HP and do it more effeciently.....

with no supporting mods like injectors,pumps and mafs or extender. I made 466 rwhp, I am convienced that I was pegging the maf cause I was going lean up top that my tuner kept trying to compensate for. With a cash limit of 5 grand this is what I would do.

kb 2.6 3400
injectors 335
pumps 189
sct ba2800 235
total = 4159 this leaves you more than enough for a dyno tune! With the extra I would get a ftvb. But I would get the supporting mods if you have the money.

SVT99RED

Established Member
fuzzie said:
Seen the 2.3 make 660 or so and I think Ronnie made close to 700 on his 2.6. There are quite a few issues left to be worked out on how to make a motor flow with a 2.6. All blowers are very close but I just perfer the look of a whipple over all others. And it keeps proving fast times without locking up.

Sorry I think the 2.6 looks alot better than both 2.3's... But the whipple 2.3 looks better than the kb 2.3... Whipple had a couple of problems I heard of with the first run with the rotors hitting the case. I think it was Ronsbolt that had the prob.

predator002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread