2.2 kb fans good or bad

StannggerrEd

Established Member
I have a question how many of you guys are running the 2.2 kenne bell. What kind of power will these make? I might be able to get one for 800 but it needs a rebuild. Apparently there was some rotor damage, estimated about 1250 to fix.

I would like to be in the 600 hp range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
They'll make mid 500s pulleyed all the way down. They dont make the power a whipple or TVS does, but they scream like a banshee.

That being said, if you snag the KB and get it rebuilt I'll trade you my 2.3 whipple :) I'd rather have the scream than the horsepower, as my commute is 2 miles.

My car made 630 with a 3.0 upper and 4lb lower.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Thanks guys for the input. I backed out of the deal. It was only 800 for the 2.2 but I was looking anywhere from 1200 to 1400 to rebuild and if the gears are shot well then I'm shit out of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GodStang

Established Member
Made 649rw with my 2.2L on 17psi and 93 octane. Can make over 700 on E85. Nice little blower. They make equal power to the TVS 2.3L and Whipple 2.3L.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Made 649rw with my 2.2L on 17psi and 93 octane. Can make over 700 on E85. Nice little blower. They make equal power to the TVS 2.3L and Whipple 2.3L.

Thanks godstang. I thought they made good power too. Some people tell me it would make in the mid 500d which I felt was really underpowered.

Would any of you guys buy a 2.2 that needs to be rebuilt? The guy is asking 800. He tells me the gears are okay which talking to kenne bell is good since they don't make gears for the 2.2 anymore. But the rotors are kinda shot it looks like. Not sure if it's worth the risk or not
13e6eaf9fc945068a86dbffd280078d0.jpg
d32a3b3ec3006a4df584d89602a04d22.jpg

GodStang

Established Member
It is the old style with the port on the snout. I really would pass on that unless the servicing of the blower involves going to the new style snout. Also a lot depends on your goals with it.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
It is the old style with the port on the snout. I really would pass on that unless the servicing of the blower involves going to the new style snout. Also a lot depends on your goals with it.

I think it was going to be 1600 with the gen2 snout. I would really be happy with a mid 600 hp car. But at the moment don't want to go 2.6 lc yet.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Go for the 2.2 if you like heatsoak. Im not sure how bad other blowers are compared to this one, but I know mine runs hot and Ive read the same from other people too.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
where did you find this for sale? If you're not going to take it I want it.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
The following is my opinion!

The 2.2KBs tech is WAY behind compared to the new setups. The reason it is so loud is because it is not efficient. I had one and was very disappointed with the performance out of it and it was new so I know it wasn't damaged or worn out. They might put out numbers on the dyno but all those numbers mean are one hit out of the driveway before it is heat soaked and the timing starts to get pulled because the charge air temps shoot up.

kbhot.jpg

With all the newer options out there I would pass. This is coming from a guy that was stock eaton, ported eaton, 2.2KB with supporting mods, custom turbo kit and soon a built engine with the custom turbo kit. All were used on a factory stock engine.

Another warning I have for you is... Don't be fooled by on-line HP numbers. Some people don't share if they have a high compression built engine or stock down to the air cleaner. This leads to disappointments for some when following their advice.

Zemedici

Established Member
Thank you. Almost like I know what I'm talking about....650whp out of a 2.2 is severely abnormal, and bet it doesn't make anything NEAR that on the second pass. They heat up like crazy, and hence why they don't make the power of a whipple or TVS.

StannggerrEd

Established Member

The 2.2KBs tech is WAY behind compared to the new setups. The reason it is so loud is because it is not efficient. I had one and was very disappointed with the performance out of it and it was new so I know it wasn't damaged or worn out. They might put out numbers on the dyno but all those numbers mean are one hit out of the driveway before it is heat soaked and the timing starts to get pulled because the charge air temps shoot up.

View attachment 66524

With all the newer options out there I would pass. This is coming from a guy that was stock eaton, ported eaton, 2.2KB with supporting mods, custom turbo kit and soon a built engine with the custom turbo kit. All were used on a factory stock engine.

Another warning I have for you is... Don't be fooled by on-line HP numbers. Some people don't share if they have a high compression built engine or stock down to the air cleaner. This leads to disappointments for some when following their advice.

Very interesting. Looks like I'm definitely gona be going a different route than.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member

View attachment 66524

Friend has one.. Same deal. One rip on a 50* night, and his IAT's are 150-160+... Worst part, they STAY there, for a LONG time.

bigmoose

Established Member
I'm don't disagree with above. On my end I'm running a killer chiller which is basically required with my 2.2KB along with E85, so I do get consistent pulls. However, I bought my car with this blower so it's not worth me switching. If I had an Eaton and wanted to upgrade I'd go TVS all the way.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Yeah I have a 2.2 also make 617 with it but I plan to sell it and move to a tvs when I can afford it.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Yeah I have a 2.2 also make 617 with it but I plan to sell it and move to a tvs when I can afford it.

It seems like everyone is going tvs now..... Are they really that good? I'm always skeptical since they are a cheaper option (no offense to anyone who went that route)

Users who are viewing this thread