1st to 2nd grinding....

Zeroescence

Established Member
Well I have 670 miles on my car and the grinding is worse now that I have more miles on it. I ordered a UPR shift stick and it didn't fit as I figured it wouldn't so I did some work to it and got it to fit nicely. I wanted to see if the rubber isolators were to be blamed.

I let the car warm up on a drive for 12 miles. I stopped and put her in first, I let the clutch out smoothly and then mashed the gas to 6800 rpm, went to hit 2nd and totally shut me out of second while making a horrible grinding noise. I then let off the gas put the clutch back in and proceeded to put it into 2nd and I still felt a grind. I drove the car for 8 more miles and tried again to no avail. I can definitively say its not the stock shifter.

I put the stock shift lever back in as the UPR lever made a really loud ice shaving noise while driving normal. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my tranny, or if there is something else to blame. I'm not sure if I should put an aftermarket shifter in with the hopes it'll resolve the problem, I just dont want to do all the work and still have to take it into ford and remove the shifter.

Not sure what to do?:??: Thanks for any help.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
this is really disconcerting to hear bro....I say take it to Ford with a new shifter and have them check it and install the new one for free! await to hear the results of this...now im getting worried, so far nothing on me after 341 miles

Zeroescence

Established Member
this is really disconcerting to hear bro....I say take it to Ford with a new shifter and have them check it and install the new one for free! await to hear the results of this...now im getting worried, so far nothing on me after 341 miles

Not sure If Ford would install a MGW shifter. Believe me I'm not very happy, very upsetting actually.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
meant to ask, is this happening under heavy load or at all times? since you say you went all the way to 6800 rpms, Im just curious if there is a correlation

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Its only a problem when I'm going near redline under heavy load.

I see....you still have the motorcraft fluid in the tranny? wondering if a different fluid would help such as the Amsoil ATF stuff....at least its not a constant thing, just under heavy load....still blows

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Keep the stock shifter in it and take it to the dealer. It could be a internal problem with the transmission (Synchro or shift forks)

Zeroescence

Established Member
Keep the stock shifter in it and take it to the dealer. It could be a internal problem with the transmission (Synchro or shift forks)

Do you think I should wait till it has a few more miles on it as I'm not sure how they would feel about me getting on it hard with so low of miles?

Also it only grinds from 1st to 2nd and no other gears have the issue.

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Do you think I should wait till it has a few more miles on it as I'm not sure how they would feel about me getting on it hard with so low of miles?

I would take it in now. Shifting gears at 6800 rpm is not hard on a properly operating transmission.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
plus ford does not tell us to break it in for 1500 miles , driving normal from the get go is encouraged...make the call and keep us updated...good luck

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
deleted...I see you change the handle

Last edited:

eagle eye

Established Member
Not sure If Ford would install a MGW shifter. Believe me I'm not very happy, very upsetting actually.

I would not start making your own diagnoses or modifications. Document everything, when it first started happening, how often and when. Leave it bone stock and take it to the dealer. If there is a problem, it could possibly affect a number of cars and Ford would want to know.
Don't worry about taking a tech for a ride and hammering on it, they know they'll be driven hard.

Zeroescence

Established Member
I would not start making your own diagnoses or modifications. Document everything, when it first started happening, how often and when. Leave it bone stock and take it to the dealer. If there is a problem, it could possibly affect a number of cars and Ford would want to know.
Don't worry about taking a tech for a ride and hammering on it, they know they'll be driven hard.

I'm not worried about the tech. I am worried about the low amount of miles I have and them saying I was to hard on it before it was fully broke in. I have wrote down all the dates when it first happened till now. I hope everything goes well as I have never purchased a vehicle from my local dealer nor been to them for service.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I was hoping this was solved in the 13. i know it wasn't in my 12 sad to hear. I have no troubles with any other shift but 1-2

BOD89LX

Established Member
Leave it stock and take it to the dealer, my 2012 did the same type of thing for day 1 and after a trans rebuild and a MGW shifter and then amsoil it was better but would still do it at the drag strip if I shifted too fast on the 1-2 shift but was fine on the street. So if they can't fix it or won't fix it you will juSt have to learn to live with it. Try to pause for a split second on the 1-2 shift and see if that helps.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I was hoping this was solved in the 13. i know it wasn't in my 12 sad to hear. I have no troubles with any other shift but 1-2

It's not extremely common- seems to be an isolated issue with the 13

Really sucks- get it to the dealer.

jonesd

Established Member
It sounds just like the 11-12's Its absoutely hit or miss if your car will have the problem. I hate to say it, but no shifter swap will fix it. Ive been down that road with my 11, 3 shifters, stainless steel clutch line, new clutch, ect nothing fixed it.

I know this is going to sound crazy but i actually had to slow my shifting down to fix the problem. Is it completely locking you out even if you semi coasted at 6800 rpm in 1st and tried to shift slowly?

If so then i would have the actual trans checked. if its only locking you out shifting fast then it sounds like the 11-12 problem where you have to slow your shifting down...

Just my experience anyways.

jonesd

Established Member
Leave it stock and take it to the dealer, my 2012 did the same type of thing for day 1 and after a trans rebuild and a MGW shifter and then amsoil it was better but would still do it at the drag strip if I shifted too fast on the 1-2 shift but was fine on the street. So if they can't fix it or won't fix it you will juSt have to learn to live with it. Try to pause for a split second on the 1-2 shift and see if that helps.

Pretty much what he said...

Users who are viewing this thread