1st timeslip

The Beast 2014

Established Member
So. yesterday was my first time at a where I could see my times. I am not showing my first few timeslips lol. I hit the rev limited once, had a 2.4 60' once and then got in the grove and eventually got kicked for no rollcage, fire jacket or the right seatbelts.

Attachments

• 1st timeslip.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 202

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I am running 15 x 8 racestars in the back with 275 15 ET streets and I am trapping in 4th gear at 7200 RPMS. I would like to be trapping in the 6800 range. Not sure what I should do to make that happen.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Rear gear is 3.15 which I think is good. At the HP I am running I was having trouble hooking through second gear anyways. I think it's a 26.2 inches for the rear tire height. I could go with a 17 inch rim and get a 28 inch tire.

corepwn

Established Member
Congrats on new PB?!!

I really wanted to get out there yesterday but it was raining so I didn't bother. Sucks you got kicked, they usually let me get one pass in before they give me an earful :)

3:15s are fine, and you shouldn't be even close to 7200 in 4th through the trap with a 275/50 (26" tire) @ 126mph.

Last edited:

bunits19714

Established Member
^^ Just stop- something is seriously wrong with your tune-Your converter isn't locking or is coming unlocked and not relocking- like corepawn stated 3.15 with a 26" @126 are fine- should only be around 6000 rpm in 4th- What is the full tire size is it a 50 or a 60 series? 50 series is around 26 and a 60 series(275 60 15) is 28" tall. - If there is any track prep, psi is right and you do a decent burn out at "your power levels" Et streets should handle all that power and compensate for the non driver enough to get your car into the 1.5's-1.4's . YOU have a lot of VARIABLES to get corrected. your set up should be good for 10.70's or better when dialed in. Have you done any logs for your tuner? wot on the street in high gear or do a street pull at 127ish at wot and see what your rpm is - if it isn't around 6 k your convert isn't staying locked at wot. good luck

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I watched it pretty close because I noticed it was revving high. It actually didn't rain there. I got one pass and a warning and then I ran an 11.3 on the next one and got kicked. I am thinking that I need to improve the 60 foot a little and maybe I can get it to trap 130 and just break the 10's. The IAT's were pulling a little timing too so I was off a little on the HP.

corepwn

Established Member
Well, there's definitely something that's way off. 126 is plenty for 10s. But your 60 blows. The tires are good.
I went low 1.5s CONSISTENTLY with stock suspension, stock converter, and similar power levels on MT 275/50/15s a few years ago.

Last edited:

bunits19714

Established Member
I definitely feel sorry for you SVT members on the far west coast near Seattle- Your tracks are not very friendly with bending the rules a lil bit. I have been chasing 9's since my track opened this year- There like" got your helmet" -" yep"-" have fun-"- Not saying at some point safety equipment isn't needed but modern cars are far better designed with side air bags and such compared to older vehicles. Especially when you can take a stock car and add some forced induction and run 9's at close to 140 mph pretty easy. Definitely takes the fun out of the once a month track visitor that wants to dial in and test his work he performed on his toy.

corepwn

Established Member
I definitely feel sorry for you SVT members on the far west coast near Seattle- Your tracks are not very friendly with bending the rules a lil bit. I have been chasing 9's since my track opened this year- There like" got your helmet" -" yep"-" have fun-"- Not saying at some point safety equipment isn't needed but modern cars are far better designed with side air bags and such compared to older vehicles. Especially when you can take a stock car and add some forced induction and run 9's at close to 140 mph pretty easy. Definitely takes the fun out of the once a month track visitor that wants to dial in and test his work he performed on his toy.

*nods*

When I first moved from FL to WA it was quite the difference. Makes it a lot more painful to dial in a combo.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I don't know how to calculate the expected RPM's using tire size etc since I am pretty new to this stuff. But, I am assuming with 28 inch tires that is why I am trapping at 7200 rpms

corepwn

Established Member
Last edited:

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Lol, I wonder why the car wouldn't shift into fourth. Not sure how comfortable I am running the RPM's that high. I do appreciate the help though since I have never raced before and this is pretty new. I agree I need to fix the 60. I was launching at about 1800 RPM but anything higher and I could feel the tires starting to slip over the stock converter. I think the stock converter is rated to 1800 rpm stall speed.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Wow using that chart I need to be careful. I run stock oil pump gears because I haven't had the guts to change them and if I trap at 130 or higher I am in the 7500rpm range.

corepwn

Established Member
It's really not even about the RPM that kills them, it's about drive line shocks IMO.
Mine went 7000-7500 countless times, but a rev limiter killed the stockers in mine.

You're fine right now, 130 is a little it away anyway unless you add power.

60 foot is your enemy.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Ok, 60 foot focus is where I will go. My tuner saw it and already wants to install a converter to improve the 60 foot. I love how it grows and grows lol.

I am now looking at NOS, Converter, Roll cage, fire jacket, seat belts, and the list goes on. I should have stuck to golf lol.

bunits19714

Established Member
What does your tuner have the shift points at- what is your rev limiter been increased to ? Unless you go bigger tire- higher gear(lower number) ratio, or have it shift in to 4th - which wont be optimal with a 3.15 (places you at the bottom of the power band again- but tvs produce the torque to carry the car . Most people seem to accept the 3rd shift and use 4th gear and end up running 3.55 gears- these will car the car to 146-149ish depending on the rpm the bottom end will handle. If you only track the car every so often then you may want to leave the 3.15s and have a nice half mile car(160+in 4th) or roll race car. Some really track orientated tuners will only have you use 3 gears and have you run 3.08- 2.73 rear gears-they deplore the 3rd shift(4th gear)

bunits19714

Established Member
There are plenty of TVS cars that don't use aftermarket converters---- you have to use what you to it's fullest before you increase the torque to the tires out of the hole- Read Scott's build thread in the power adder section he is starting his creep towards the 8's and is still on the STOCK CONVERTER- The edelbrock tvs are suppose to have longer runners yet to increase low end torque- use it- YOUR tuner should be able to add timing out of the hole to increase your 60' but YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE to utilize IT! You need to get a few dozen more runs under your belt- you may want to run to 6200 in 3rd the let off so you can get your launches dialed in - this will give you your 60', 330 and 1/8 mile and tell you if it is pulling timing and such.this will keep you from getting kicked out and allow you to practice your launches- I am not trying to be a jerk about it I am trying to give YOU some FREE advice. I am not John Force by any means but I do have close to 3000 passes down the 1/4 mile track. If your going to 1/4 mile the car add 3.55's and leave the converter alone until you build the short block down the road. I don't believe the Uglybrock will produce enough HP in the future to warrant the 1300 dollars on a new converter. It will break the stock motor easily, but aren't they done around 750-800 rwhp because the front air inlet size?(spinning the piss out of it)

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I appreciate the information. I don't really want to swap gears so I am tempted to leave it alone and back off like you mentioned at the end. My tuner can get 700 rwhp easily on E85 from the "Uglybrock" but I don't have a short block ready yet. When I do I will push it as hard as possible. I like the Edelbrock and I am determined to eventually see if I can get it into the low 10's with a new shortblock and maybe even in the 9's. My car hits peak torque around 2400 rpm so its pretty low.

Yes, more passes are needed so I can figure out the launch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread