1st time gun buyer???

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
ok will hopefully be closing on a home next month and one of the things I have wanted for a couple of years now has been a pistol. I have fired a few in the past between being in the Marines and having LEO friends and pretty much fell in love with the Glock 23. but my question is what do I need to do to purchase a firearm? where is a good place to buy? what forms or id's do I need? any info you all can give me on making this purchase would be great.:beer:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
well not sure in NC but here in Tx it took me about 10 mins in and out lol. just showed em my I.D. and they ran a quick backround check and i was the owner of a Taurus and a Sig Sauer. i see you have shot the Glock before, if its what you love then get it! you tried gunbroker.com? hell try a pawn shop too or see if you can get any recommendations from people, hell someone might even be seeling one. i refuse to go to a gun sjop. those guys are way too pricey for my tastes. like going to a dealership to buy parts for you car. good luck on your search....

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Head to your local sheriffs department. You will fill out a page or two of information, while they run a background check. It will take all of about 10 minutes. You then sign your name on the certificate they give you, you take the certificate to the shop you wish to purchase the firearm, and your the new owner.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
just check in your local gun store, they will know how to help you. every state has different laws. why cant my permit be like a drivers license, good in all state? the 23 is a great gun, good size for carry

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Head to your local sheriffs department. You will fill out a page or two of information, while they run a background check. It will take all of about 10 minutes. You then sign your name on the certificate they give you, you take the certificate to the shop you wish to purchase the firearm, and your the new owner.

jesus thank god i live in the Republic of Tx lol jk :banana:
well i guess its about the same but they do that paper work at the gun store/shop. you fill it out, sign it and they enter all that stuff in the computer and if it clears your a new proud gun owner in Tx. if not....well :shrug:

slick4_6

Established Member
jesus thank god i live in the Republic of Tx lol jk :banana:
well i guess its about the same but they do that paper work at the gun store/shop. you fill it out, sign it and they enter all that stuff in the computer and if it clears your a new proud gun owner in Tx. if not....well :shrug:

You have to go to the Sheriff's Department to get a pistol permit in NC unless you have a Concealed Carry Permit. If you have a Concealed Carry Permit you can just go to a gun store and pick out the one you want. Some counties handle permits differently. In the county I am in you can leave with a pistol permit the day you apply for it, in other counties there can be a 1 to 10 day wait. For a long gun you just fill out the paper work in the gun store. The funny thing is that even after you go get a pistol permit you have to fill out the same paper work that you do for a long gun in store.

txyaloo

Established Member
You have to go to the Sheriff's Department to get a pistol permit in NC unless you have a Concealed Carry Permit. If you have a Concealed Carry Permit you can just go to a gun store and pick out the one you want. Some counties handle permits differently. In the county I am in you can leave with a pistol permit the day you apply for it, in other counties there can be a 1 to 10 day wait. For a long gun you just fill out the paper work in the gun store. The funny thing is that even after you go get a pistol permit you have to fill out the same paper work that you do for a long gun in store.

That's because those forms are a federal requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread