1st set of wheels, care taking

i want boost

Established Member
so i ordered my first set of aftermarket wheels, they are matte gunmetal, and wondering how to take care of them, and their finish.

info im looking for
do's and dont's
products to use, not use
chemicals in products to stay away from if any
cleaning tools to stay away from/best to use

thanks

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I currently just bought some 18" fr500s and I have sitting in my room to seal and wax. I am using blackfire wet diamond sealant and topped with a good wax. Don't know what kind of wax yet but that is all im going to do to them. and just clean with soapy water like paint

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I'm no professional, but I use warm water and soap. On my chrome wheels I just use a detail spray (Norton Liquid Ice, but brand shouldn't matter).

I wouldn't use "over the counter" wheel cleaners. I had a problem with peeling a long time ago when I used Meguiar's Wheel Cleaner. The wheels were just a cheap set of ICW's for my DD and the Meguiar's peeled the clear off in seconds. Some of that stuff is just to strong.

A good rule of thumb, if you have brand new wheels then cleaning them should be easy, just stay on top of it.

As far as a sealer goes, not sure on Matte Gunmetal. There is a few threads on Shine's and Sealer's in this section, but I'm not sure if they only work or chrome and polished only.

best of luck!

HeLLFiRe xx

Run your car, not mouth.
Established Member
My tip would be wax them just like the car... I have always waxed my wheels and have always had minimal scratches and knicks. Lots of people think wax is only for the car paint. Wax them up!

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Your wheels are no doubt clear coated, which makes a ton of difference. If you keep them cleaned and don't let them brake dust build up (and therefore bake on), you will be ok as stated above with a normal waxing every few months.

Shineseal you don't need. That's for raw aluminum as it acts in place of the clear coat.

Just wash them thoroughly every car wash and pop em dry with a leaf blower...best thing ever invented for car care ;-)

Last edited:

i want boost

Established Member
My tip would be wax them just like the car... I have always waxed my wheels and have always had minimal scratches and knicks. Lots of people think wax is only for the car paint. Wax them up!

Is any car wax ok, or are there special wheel waxes? Maybe a matte wax type?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
be careful with wax on a matte or satin powder coated finish. i used some on my satin black wheel once and it made a chalky mess and was a pita to get off. test a small section first. on the back of the wheel if you can.

i stay away from any "wheel cleaners" like meguiars or mothers etc... they claim to be safe for all wheel finishes but you can google horror stories of them damaging people's wheels. if its strong enough to remove brake dust by itself, then its very acidic.

i want boost

Established Member
be careful with wax on a matte or satin powder coated finish. i used some on my satin black wheel once and it made a chalky mess and was a pita to get off. test a small section first. on the back of the wheel if you can.

i stay away from any "wheel cleaners" like meguiars or mothers etc... they claim to be safe for all wheel finishes but you can google horror stories of them damaging people's wheels. if its strong enough to remove brake dust by itself, then its very acidic.

Thanks for all the info guys looks like simple soap, and derivation for me

Steve I plan on hitting up some TF's for me next set

Chewy

Established Member
You can't get getter than Opti-Coat. Will not only protect way better than any wax or sealant, but is chemical resistant and makes wheel cleaning simple. Ive had it on my daily driver wheels (and paint) for over 4 years and it's still like day one.

Users who are viewing this thread