1st dyno ... hoping for more

Venomous1

Established Member
Originally posted by needspeed
Hey Venomous1,

It looks from you sig that you have not changed out your H-pipe. So it looks like x-pipe is worth another 20 or so based on your numbers vs mine. It is amazing how much a few mods will make on this car. Are you planning to swap your h?????

I haven't decided for sure on the pipe yet, but I am leaning towards changing it out. Is yours an off-road or do you have cats? I'm going to see what I can can get without doing a pulley or chip....I'm just not ready to throw out my warranty yet.

F1-R Stang

Mobster
Established Member
venomous1,howdoes your dynomax cat back sound ?
I'm looking at buying that system but i need to hear it i think ,
i want something thats almost stock sounding. :burnout:

NickSVT03

Established Member
See sig for stock numbers. I dynoed my car with 1000 miles on it. IIt started feeling stronger at around 2500. Due to a timing retard that supposidly fixes itself, the 2nd run cars are dynoing 15-25 hp lower than the 1st run. What shop did you go to?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Crap! What else do you know about that retard that "fixes itself"? I haven't read anything about that. Can you post some links? When and how does it fix itself, and why is it there?

Thanks, g.

NickSVT03

Established Member
I havent seen it on the net, but I have a friend that works for ford racing and he is buddies with alot of the S.V.T. I only got to talk to him for a minute because he was in Le mans, but I called him after I dynoed and he said the 2nd run cars have some sort of a timing retard that apparently fixes itself between 2-5k miles. I was planning on finding out more when he comes back in town in mid Nov.

boostm3

Established Member
>>those numbers seem a little low. Bone stock I was at 368 rwhp, and with the silencer off I got 386 RWHP<<

What/where is this 'silencer'? You mean you can gain 20 rwhp just by removing it?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Yeah, please do and post back here. Mainly why is it there? Is it on purpose, so that you don't break something while breaking the car in? You know, the more info the better.

thanks, g.

NickSVT03

Established Member
I will post a thread once I know, but I would speculate that you would be correct on why it is there. If you notice most of the 1st run cars dynoed higher stock, but when the mods(pulley/chip) start it evens out.

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by NickSVT03
See sig for stock numbers. I dynoed my car with 1000 miles on it. IIt started feeling stronger at around 2500. Due to a timing retard that supposidly fixes itself, the 2nd run cars are dynoing 15-25 hp lower than the 1st run. What shop did you go to?
I never heard anything about a timing fix. Has anybody been able to confirm this? Maybe a sponsor that burns chips could explain the difference between codes. If it was true why are there second run cars putting up high dyno numbers stock like first run cars?
I thought the code change was to fix the stalling problem.
Here is an example
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19907

Last edited:

NickSVT03

Established Member
Originally posted by cubes
I never heard anything about a timing fix. Has anybody been able to confirm this? Maybe a sponsor that burns chips could explain the difference between codes. If it was true why are there second run cars putting up high dyno numbers stock like first run cars?
I thought the code change was to fix the stalling problem.
Here is an example
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19907

Its not a fix, its a retard that fixes itself with time. almost all 2nd run cars are dynoing between 345-360 where as you see alot of 1st run cars dynoing between 360-380 stock.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Originally posted by Venomous1
I haven't decided for sure on the pipe yet, but I am leaning towards changing it out. Is yours an off-road or do you have cats? I'm going to see what I can can get without doing a pulley or chip....I'm just not ready to throw out my warranty yet.

I've got Bassani x with cats. They flow very well. I was thinking about the warranty and was thinking 4.10s and single blade throttle body should add some kick with most of the warranty intact. MAYBE???

Grumpy

Established Member
My car is a Second Run and it dyno'd at 382 SAE RWHP and 378.7 SAE RWTQ at 1670 miles. The Air Silencer was removed but everything else was the way it came from the factory.

boostm3

Established Member
So, that sounds like a pretty cheap, 20 rwhp upgrade for second run cars: Patience, for free!!

Orange Poison

Established Member
So what are we saying guys? The 1st gen. has been dyno-ing higher than the 2nd gen. when brand new?

Shouldn't they be exactly the same?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by RedHotSnke
So what are we saying guys? The 1st gen. has been dyno-ing higher than the 2nd gen. when brand new?

Shouldn't they be exactly the same?

Yeah, that's what's implied, all other variables being equal. If this thing in the software is indeed true, then no, they wouldn't be exactly the same. I know that this can be done in software. Now whether it's been done or not, I'm not so sure. I'll have to wait and see. Of course, it's not only software that could affect the additional hp after break-in, but also the break-in of the engine and exhaust etc. itself.

my .03

TOC

Established Member
I have one of the first run cars and my recorded 350HP & 349TQ in stock form.

The shop owner said he had done 3 other 03 Cobra's (all first run cars). He showed me the dyno graphs from these 3 cars. They ranged from 340HP to 360HP, one other car pulling the same 350HP as mine (all numbers were SAE corrected).

It would be interesting to know what HP/TQ variations other shop owners are seeing on stock 03's. Is it more than 15 to 20HP, or are these wider variations in reported dyno numbers due more to the fact that these cars are being dyno'ed at different shops and in different locations around the country?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by TOC
I have one of the first run cars and my recorded 350HP & 349TQ in stock form.

The shop owner said he had done 3 other 03 Cobra's (all first run cars). He showed me the dyno graphs from these 3 cars. They ranged from 340HP to 360HP, one other car pulling the same 350HP as mine (all numbers were SAE corrected).

It would be interesting to know what HP/TQ variations other shop owners are seeing on stock 03's. Is it more than 15 to 20HP, or are these wider variations in reported dyno numbers due more to the fact that these cars are being dyno'ed at different shops and in different locations around the country?

Different dyno shops may make a difference, but I think mileage makes a difference, too. What mileage did all these cars you are talking about have? At the shop I went to, Intense dynoed about 15 hp more than I did on the same day with 2600 on his stock 1st gen and 900 on my stock (with K&N) 2nd gen. The shop owner said that around 350 is typical for stock 03's. He showed me another sheet of a car that dynoed at 345 (don't know gen) at 600 miles and then dynoed at 1600 miles at 475 with mods (I think pulley, chip and exhaust).

g.

TOC

Established Member
I can't tell you what the mileage was on the cars, but I would assume it was pretty low as all were done within the first month and half of the 03 Cobra's hitting the showrooms here in the Houston area.

I agree that mileage is a big factor. I saw that with my 99 Lightning, it showed a gain on the same shop's dyno of 17 HP between 1000 miles and 10000 miles, with no changes to the engine other than the addition of Mobil 1.

Users who are viewing this thread