• Suzuki SV650S

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Tarp02GT

I LOVE JESSICA ALBA
Established Member
Well I have been thinkinag about getting a bike for some time now. I am new to riding and this will be my first bike. I was curious if anyone out there who owns a bike has some opinions about a good first bike. I am leaning toward a 2003 and up CBR 600rr. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Matt

Last edited:

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Not a 600RR. That is too much bike in my opinion. I am 6'2'' 255 and that bike scared the hell out of me. Yeah, its rideable but its very fast. Same goes for the R6, GSX-R 600, and ZX-6R. However, the SV is a great bike for starting out, plenty fast and has a lot of room to grow into. I personally bought a Yamaha YZF-600R, its the R6's frendlier brother with more midrange power and durability. I love it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ZX-6R is a great bike. It is styled well, and is very nimble if you make a mistake while riding. It is powerful, but not like a liter bike.

-Jeff

merfsiu

Established Member
SV650
IMHO Ideally, you should get on old pos like a 79 special 750 or a kawi 750 from late 70s early 80s to learn on. Thats what i did. after a year on a 79 yamaha special 750, i could muscle that beast around pretty good. My next bike was a 92 cbr600 and it felt like razor in comparison. Becasue i was use to stopping/controlling a 600 pound bike in an emergency situation, the cbr was cake.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Old bikes suck. The newer bikes are lighter, and thus easier to handle. You don't have to get a powerful bike, and if you do, just stay out of the throttle and use some common sense. Honestly, unless you are a collector, or just buying an old bike for novelty purposes, I wouldn't get anything older than a 92-93 model IMO. Remember the older a bike is and the more miles it has on it, the more likely you are to have a break down and be stranded along the side of the road.

-Jeff

Coiled03

Established Member
Get something like an SV650. That way, WHEN you put it down (not if), there's less plastic damage to repair.

DesertStang

Race Desert
Established Member
The CBR600RR is a race-ready bike. Does that sound like a good first choice?

I think not. Go with a smaller bore.

04 Redline

Established Member
My friend just got an R6 for his first bike, crashed it. He's fine but I insisted that it was too much bike for him before he even got it. He's pretty careful with speed as he's also got a 513rwhp cobra. I'd say get something a little older than what you're looking at, as my friend has a 4500 bill to deal with. God forbid you'll have an accident, but get something that's less likely to scare the piss out of you for a first bike.

Tarp02GT

I LOVE JESSICA ALBA
Established Member
Well I am thinkig either an 2003+ SV650S or 2000-2002 CBR4fi. I want to buy something I will be happy with for a while. I respect bikes of all size. I just dont want to get something and get rid of it in six months.

tistan

Established Member
What about the new kawasaki 650r. It is the same power as an sv650, but looks better. It probably has a lot better suspension. My friend started on an sv650 and his only complaint was the suspension was not made for people over 150lbs.

Tarp02GT

I LOVE JESSICA ALBA
Established Member
tistan said:
What about the new kawasaki 650r. It is the same power as an sv650, but looks better. It probably has a lot better suspension. My friend started on an sv650 and his only complaint was the suspension was not made for people over 150lbs.

I have thought about that but I need to see it in person first. Also a little hesitant because it is brand new.

SVT8U

Established Member
sv650 is a great starter bike. I have a buddy that bought a cbr 600f4i as his first bike and he loves it. Much better manners and rideability than a 600 rr. Plus they look good and are pretty fast..... id go with the f4i jmo

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Nothing like asking for answers from people who know little to nothing about the topic.

Hissman, you are dead wrong on this one.
Old bikes suck. The newer bikes are lighter, and thus easier to handle. You don't have to get a powerful bike, and if you do, just stay out of the throttle and use some common sense.
Nobody uses common sense on a bike. If you used common sense, you'd never get on the damn thing. You learn how to control a bike, how to maneuver a bike, and how to react when the shit hits the fan. When things go wrong on two wheels and your reactions are incorrect, you crash and you get hurt. The best place to start is with a very underpowered bike because it is incredibly forgiving WHEN (not if) you screw up. Also, no matter what bike you choose, BUY GOOD, COMFORTABLE GEAR. If your helmet sucks and isn't comfortable, you won't wear it. If your jacket is too hot, you'll leave it at home. Buy riding pants and boots as well...your knees, ankles, and feet will thank you for it when you are sliding on the pavement.
I could go on, but ultimately you will buy what you want anyway. Of the ones listed, the sv650 is the hands down choice for a new rider. Other bikes were mentioned and you said you didn't like the styling of them. Keep in mind that all bikes look crappy with a dented tank and rash down the side so you may want to go with something small, cheap, and easily replaceable for your first ride.

The most valuable tool I have in my riding arsenal is a book called "Sportriding Technique" by Nick Ienatsch. I strongly encourage anyone who rides or wants to ride to buy this book and study it from cover to cover.

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Ninja 250 or 500R, GS500. Ride it for a year or two (you WILL drop it, everyone does their first bike), then sell it. Believe it or not, those bikes are fairly in demand.

Buy a used bike so you don't cry when you drop it. Also, if you decide that riding is not for you, you aren't out too much money.

A small bike will help you learn to control the bike easier.

And anyone that tells you that 'driving a high-powered car' translates into someone who will be able to handle a powerful bike, doesn't know WTF they are talking about. Bikes are not like cars people. The penalty for chucking a bike into a ditch is a whole lot worse than doing so for a car, and they do not steer nor act anything like cars.

A whole lotta people in this thread seem to be giving advice, yet don't ride (or haven't ridden long).

Got to www.sportbikes.net and go into the Forums > New Riders. Read up - they will pretty much cover everything you want to know.

Don't forgot to include the cost of gear in the price of a bike. You are looking at between 500-1000 for gear depending on what you get. At the very leat you need a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. I wear textile jackets, but leather is really ideal - it's just hot and expensive. But, as they say, sweat wipes off. Textile is really only good for one crash.

edit: I have a ZX-9. I 'learned' on a 94 CBR600 (10 years ago), and looking back, I feel like that bike really stunted my learning. I would have been much better starting on a 500R, but I was only 22/23 then, so I had hard head. The CBR was brand new when I got it, and I dropped it the first couple of hours after I had it, while I was learning how to just shift gears. No serious damage, but I did scrape up the fairing.

Last edited:

98yz

Established Member
I have the perfect 1st bike at the bike shop. 04 Kawi Ninja 250 on 850 miles on it only 2500.00
Unless you have riden quite abit you will drop the first you buy. Dont go for the I have to the fastest one on the first go at it.

Tarp02GT

I LOVE JESSICA ALBA
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the answers I wil probably go with the SV650S. The one with the bikini farring. That way after I have gotten used to it I can always buy the lower faring to cover up scratches from being a new rider. Form what I hear it is a good begiiner bike and has alot of room to grow in to which is what I am looking for. I sat on one at a local dealership and it was what I was looking for as far as size and comfort.

As far as gear I will not go cheap. This will all be happening after I get back from a trip to the desert with the Airforce, so money will not be an issue.

Thanks again everyone. Oh yea I will also be taking the MSF class as well as reading a book called "Total Control". This book was recomended a BUNCH of people on most of the bike forums.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread