19x10's square setup, which wheels?

Tyler72

Established Member
Looking to get a into a set of dedicated race tires & wheels, and found some pirelli road race slicks for $150 each with roughly 80% tread. They are a 295 tread width so I need to run a 10" wheel. Looking to go squared so I can rotate them. Something else to keep in mind is that I do have the brake cooling ducts installed & it would be nice if I didn't have rubbing issues with them. They currently dont rub with the factory wheels. Let me know what my options are... Not looking for the most expensive, but I'm not trying to be cheap either. Just going to be race wheels so they dont have to be the prettiest. Just need to work!

pufferfish

Established Member
Why 19's? 18's are cheaper, lighter and you have more tire options.

Blowfishracing.com has the perfect Team Dynamics 18x10 track wheel for you!

65sohc

Established Member
What about Laguna Seca rears front and rear? That's what the Track Attack cars use.

mufflerbearing

Established Member
I agree with pufferfish on this. 18's are the way to go. Pirelli slicks actually are more narrow than you'd think. 305's are the same width as a R1 275.

Tyler72

Established Member
Well, here's the deal... Nobody makes an 18" tire that is the correct height. They are all too short unless you get into something REALLY wide like a 335. They are all in the 25" tall range where as I am looking for something in the 26-27" range. I don't want to drop tire diameter because I am already running out of gear on some tracks right at the end of the straight (sometimes I run out of gear a few hundred feet from the end so I just carry it out instead of shifting) I know I could always change the gear, but I do like the 3.73 and why go through all of that when I could just get the correct height tire?

Might look into getting some rear LS wheels to run all the way around but I don't know if the offset will work correctly.

Other thing to keep in mind is that I have a somewhat limited selection on tire size and type by buying them used. I just cant se spending 3 times the money for a set of tires when I can get a set with 80% left fairly inexpensively.

pufferfish

Established Member
305/660R18 continentals are 26" tall. 295/35R18 street tires are 26" tall.

I got thiose conti's for $120 each new on close out. You can routinely get 305/660R18 Hoosier scrubs for $100 or so each. But, if you have a line on 19" scrubs, go for the LS wheels and use spacers to set the offsets where you need them.

As for running out of gear, I assume you are talking about with the stock rev limit? You can get really good speed with and 8000 redline!

65sohc

Established Member
Might look into getting some rear LS wheels to run all the way around but I don't know if the offset will work correctly.

The offset is correct. The "staggered" approach, especially on a nose-heavy car, is a marketing gimmick. One of the approaches on the early (not ancient) Shelby's to reduce understeer was to run the factor rear wheels and 285's in the front. As I recall the offset for those wheels was +45. Like I said, the guys at Miller Motorsport Park run a square setup with factory LS wheels.

pufferfish

Established Member
The 19x10 LS wheels have a +47 offset. The best fit for a 10" wheel on the rear is +42 to 45(+47 will work, but maybe a 5mm spacer is best to get flush to the body). The front gets a bit dicey. If you have camber bolts, a +35 is usually required to clear the closer than stock strut. A +45 is best without camber bolts and stock camber. If you go with 2+ degrees of camber, you can reasonably use a +35 or +40 to bring the wheel flush with the body.

Tyler72

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. I don't have any "special" hookup, just found a website that sells used race tires & gives free shipping on them. I'll look around & see what I can find. For now the suspension is all stock. If I changed camber I would most likely just do it with c/c plates... But then again the bolts are cheaper lol.

But should I be looking for a wider tire? I figured the 295 would be fine...

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
Hoosiers are narrow for the 285 and under, but are more standard for 295 and up.

295's are the best choice for a 10" wide wheel, but i really love my 305 wide tires.

Tyler72

Established Member
Meant to mention that I do have the rev limiter set to 8100, and I was bumping it throughout the day.

How about the pirelli road race slicks? Do they run narrow?

senderofan

Established Member
I invested in C/C plates and have really appreciated them. I'm able to change my camber settings fairly quickly...from track to street settings. I run 18"x10" TD wheels that I purchased from Pufferfish ( Steve ) and have 305-650x18" Continental slicks at all four corners. These are shorter than Steve's 660's...by about 1/2". I think we are better served in the 18" market than the 19". Ultimately it's a personal choice...but there's a ton of offerings for 18" rims. The Continental GT-O slicks have an amazing amount of grip...as much as I'll ever need for my track aspirations.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Tyler72

Established Member
I understand that when buying new tires there are more choices, but I'm limited in the used tire market. The guy doesn't have any 18's that are at least 26" tall. However, he does have the 19's. Also, I have been seriously considering upgrading to the 15" Shelby brakes, & I would need the 19" wheel to clear them.

I'm going to call the guy who sells the tires tomorrow & see what he suggests. He's been in the business for a while so I'm sure he can help to point me in the correct direction.

pufferfish

Established Member
Meant to mention that I do have the rev limiter set to 8100, and I was bumping it throughout the day.

How about the pirelli road race slicks? Do they run narrow?

I don't know much about the Pirelli slicks, unfortunately.

I assume you are trying to not shift to 5th gear, as 5th at 8000rpm is over 170mph! 4th is about 130. One thing to consider, if you are running street tires to 130 on your track, you will be able to run higher speed with slicks, since your exit speed to the straight will start off higher. So, you may be basing your wheel and tire choice off of something irrelevant, because you may end up going into 5th anyhow.

But I do understand your desire to stick with sizes readily available to you...and the LS wheels do look pretty sweet!

Just in case you are avoiding 18's for the brake setup, I will be test fitting a set of my TD 18x10's on a car with the 15" GT500 brakes this upcoming weekend. I know for certain they do clear the Stoptech 15" ST-60 setup.

Tyler72

Established Member
I wasn't getting into 4th... just 3rd. I could have ran 4th in the straights but it just didn't have enough power to pull itself through the curves without downshifting back to 3rd. So I just left it there.

I ended up ordering a set of charcoal 19x10 AMR wheels with the 295x680x19 pirelli slicks... Its all supposed to be here by Wednesday. If I can get them mounted in time I'll be trying them out on Sunday at the last auto cross of the year.

Tyler72

Established Member
I'm pretty sure those aren't going to clear the strut in the front unless you go with some thin wheel spacers. My 19x10's are very close! I test fit just the wheels last night. Those wheels have a 40mm offset where mine are 48 mm, so that might be just enough to make them work but the only way to know for sure is to try them!

isrboss

Established Member
I just received an email back and apparently the +40 is incorrect, it is actually a +35. That offset is not going to work.

M3hunter

Established Member
I wasn't getting into 4th... just 3rd. I could have ran 4th in the straights but it just didn't have enough power to pull itself through the curves without downshifting back to 3rd. So I just left it there.

I ended up ordering a set of charcoal 19x10 AMR wheels with the 295x680x19 pirelli slicks... Its all supposed to be here by Wednesday. If I can get them mounted in time I'll be trying them out on Sunday at the last auto cross of the year.
Hy Tyler,
how did it went with your new 19x10 AMR wheels? Did they fit over your brembo brakes?

Users who are viewing this thread