1999 Gt EVAP issues (code P0445)

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Hey guys. Picked up a 99 gt from a buddy for shits and giggles. Cars fuel pump went out so I replaced it and car ran fine for a few days. Driving to work last week and car starts sputtering and died in the middle of an intersection. Car is throwing code P0445. From what I've found its an evap leak in the fuel purge system. Before I go dicking around in the fuel system I was hoping some of you might be familiar with this code and can give me an edge on where to start or where to look specifically. Thanks

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have seen evap leak tests done using a smoke machine to find the leak on other makes. I am sure you could do it on the mustang if you have access to a smoke machine.

I would think it will be in the filler neck area, or any lines you touched while changing the fuel pump. Did you replace the filler neck gasket? or reuse it?

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I have seen evap leak tests done using a smoke machine to find the leak on other makes. I am sure you could do it on the mustang if you have access to a smoke machine.

I would think it will be in the filler neck area, or any lines you touched while changing the fuel pump. Did you replace the filler neck gasket? or reuse it?

I was told to replace the gasket but didn't even see one. Haha. I'll start there. It's always the little things

Three21

Established Member
For sure check for the fill neck gasket.

There's also a hard plastic line than runs from the glorified check valve on the high side of the tank over the rear end, under the car to some of the EVAP crap in the front passenger side wheel well. Then from there has some rubber type tubing that can corrode that goes to the throttle body.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I was told to replace the gasket but didn't even see one. Haha. I'll start there. It's always the little things

I believe the "gasket" is actually a rubber grommet where the filler neck tube goes into the gas tank. They dry out and it is highly recommended to replace them when you replace the fuel pump.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
*Update* changed the fuel filler seal and also the fuel filter while I was under there. Put everything back together. No more code.

Car still won't start. It's cranking, but won't fire up. Checked the fuses, pump works, IAC, coils, rear fuel cut out button, injectors, crank sensor. Running out of ideas of why it's not starting. Even tried my spare key in case it was the alarm system. Any ideas or other things to check? Much appreciated

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Did you put the fuel filter on backwards? I have heard that it can sometimes restrict fuel flow. Are you getting enough fuel pressure at the rail?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Just an idea out of left field. What about the neutral safety switch?
maybe try unplugging the battery for 10 minutes and trying again.

Users who are viewing this thread