1999 cobra w/ '01 cobra engine?

tai2897

I've really been in the market for a mustang, preferebly '00-'04. I found a 1999 must cobra. It has 160k miles. The kicker is that it has an '01 cobra engine swap and it has less than 60k miles on it. It's professionally done with receipts. It also has:

New Radiator
New stage 3 Clutch
Magnaflow Exhaust
New Short throw Shifter
New wheels and tires
Has been lowered
Cobra R Hood

It also looks bad*** too. He's asking $9200. If I could get him to come down some do you think this is a good deal?? Anything I should look for in particular with the engine, body etc.?

Here's the link: https://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/5635554082.html

01yellercobra

Established Member
99 and 01 engines are the same. As for what to look for, the usual stuff. Drive it and listen for bad noises. Make sure the suspension feels good. Stuff like that.

McGnarly

Established Member
Price is pretty steep dude. You can find 99's with less than 50k for around that price if you look enough.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Unless he means it has 03/04 rods and pistons, it's not worth that much. 160k is a ton of miles. I have a feeling it won't stand up to the appearance in those pictures if you go see and drive it. As said - you should be able to do much better for the money. No disrespect to the 99/01 guys, but they don't bring big money.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Unless he means it has 03/04 rods and pistons, it's not worth that much. 160k is a ton of miles. I have a feeling it won't stand up to the appearance in those pictures if you go see and drive it. As said - you should be able to do much better for the money. No disrespect to the 99/01 guys, but they don't bring big money.

It's true they don't bring a ton of money but IMO they're priced fairly. I bought my 01 new and paid 25 for it. Mines got 62,000 miles on it and in pretty good shape. I figure its worth 10-12. Bringing almost 50% of original value after 15 years isn't bad.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
The value is starting to go up on these cars for 99/01's in good shape and lower miles. I have seen quite a few sell for 14-16k here in Mi. I have seen ones that are listed for higher however i have no idea what they sold for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
I just picked up a 82000 mile garage kept 99 Cobra for $6200 with a bad engine that already had a whole bunch of modifications to include FR500 wheels with 12" tires out back. While the 99-01 cobras are not as valuable, you can find them with spun rod bearings all the time on Craigslist and then build the engine to be stronger than the terminator for cheaper than buying one. I think patience is the key here.

Users who are viewing this thread