1999 Cobra Driveline help quick...PLEASE

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
Some of you may have seen that I picked up a 1999 Cobra on Tuesday of this week. I test drove it last weak and the car drove and ran perfect. No leaks, nothing, everything looked and operated great. On Tuesday when I met the guy at his house to finalize the deal, we noticed a small leak from the pinion seal. Before I even got the car registered I took it to an authorized SVT and Saleen dealer to have the repair done. Anyways, I went and picked it up tonight, asked the guy if the road tested it (due to the aluminum drive shaft and the special fitting) and he said that they drove it in the lot and all was fine. So I paid and left. I got no more than .5 miles from the dealership and the car jumped then I heard a grind/scratching sound under the car. I was only at about 2500rpms in 2nd when this happened. I switched gears and the car was making the same noise...it only got worse. I hit the first turn-around and brought it back to the dealership. Due to the time, there was no one to check out the problem but they said they'd get back to me tomorrow. What could be wrong here. I have had the car 2 days and I have not been able to even drive it yet. I have to have this car back by Friday morning.

What could be wrong here guys? What advise can you give me? HELP PLEASE!

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Need more info.

Did you stick your head under there?

Based on the prelim info given I'll assume that the odds are on your side and nothing else happened under there like the tranny taking a statastically impossible dump 1/2 mile after you had rear end work done. Here are some possibilities starting with the most likely and working down from there:

1 - Drive shaft flange to pinion flange not tightened.
2 - Pinion nut left loose allowing pinion to deflect (probable ring/pinion damage, you may have wiped a few teeth off).
3 - Pinion nut over tightened (Possible ring/pinion damage but you will need to at least take the whole rear apart, install a new crush sleeve and re-set pinion depth).

Any fluid under the car?

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
Need more info.

Did you stick your head under there? Yes.

Based on the prelim info given I'll assume that the odds are on your side and nothing else happened under there like the tranny taking a statastically impossible dump 1/2 mile after you had rear end work done. Here are some possibilities starting with the most likely and working down from there:

1 - Drive shaft flange to pinion flange not tightened.
2 - Pinion nut left loose allowing pinion to deflect (probable ring/pinion damage, you may have wiped a few teeth off).
3 - Pinion nut over tightened (Possible ring/pinion damage but you will need to at least take the whole rear apart, install a new crush sleeve and re-set pinion depth). I was told by the guys at corral.net that I should be there when they take the pumpkin apart. What is the likelihood that they will try to take apart the dif, see the broken teeth and close it back up and send me on my way. The grinding sound would still be there even if they did that right? I am at the end of my rope here and I don't know what to do.

Any fluid under the car? None that I saw when I parked it at the dealership.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
If your dealers service department isn't run by John Gotti they will fix it. You will probably incurr more bad feeling by looking over their shoulder.

Just make sure that if you did wipe a few teeth off no damage occured to the case due to pieces being wedged against the case or cover. 85% of the time I've dealt with catastrophic ring/pinion failures there were holes punched in the sheet metal cover with straight axles. A crack might not show up on your aluminum independant diff for a while. It may be easier for them to replace the whole pumpkin anyway. Good luck!
:beer:

Last edited:

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
If your dealers service department isn't run by John Gotti they will fix it. You will probably incurr more bad feeling by looking over their shoulder.

Just make sure that if you did wipe a few teeth off no damage occured to the case due to pieces being wedged against the case or cover. 85% of the time I've dealt with catastrophic ring/pinion failures there were holes punched in the sheet metal cover with straight axles. A crack might not show up on your aluminum independant diff for a while. It may be easier for them to replace the whole pumpkin anyway. Good luck!

You have been a huge help...thank you. Here is the update...

The service guy in charge of my car just called me and gave me some good news. He called and said (In a very nice voice) "Mr. Todaro, apon further investigation of your drive train we have come to the decision that your damage was OUR fault. When we torqued down (I fogot what he said here) we "****ed" (I tuned out here) and that turned and wore down the bearings and that was the noise you heard. This was our fault and all repairs are on our tab and you will not be charged for them. We will obviously be disassembling your whole rear end, replacing all fluids in the dif and we will do our damndest to get you back in your car today (Thursday 7-15-04). Again, I am truely sorry for the inconvience frustration I have caused you."

***Update***He just called to tell me that the "slinger" did not come in and it will not be in till 10 am tomorrow (Today, Friday 7-16-04). But we are sqaure on the costs, so he is just going to leave my vehicle outside the service dept locked and I can get in with my extra set and pick the other keys another day.***

I will have my baby tomorrow. All will be good.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Crazzy_Al
You have been a huge help...thank you. Here is the update...

The service guy in charge of my car just called me and gave me some good news. He called and said (In a very nice voice) "Mr. Todaro, apon further investigation of your drive train we have come to the decision that your damage was OUR fault. When we torqued down (I fogot what he said here) we "****ed" (I tuned out here) and that turned and wore down the bearings and that was the noise you heard. This was our fault and all repairs are on our tab and you will not be charged for them. We will obviously be disassembling your whole rear end, replacing all fluids in the dif and we will do our damndest to get you back in your car today (Thursday 7-15-04). Again, I am truely sorry for the inconvience frustration I have caused you."

***Update***He just called to tell me that the "slinger" did not come in and it will not be in till 10 am tomorrow (Today, Friday 7-16-04). But we are sqaure on the costs, so he is just going to leave my vehicle outside the service dept locked and I can get in with my extra set and pick the other keys another day.***

I will have my baby tomorrow. All will be good.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :-D

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver2003Cobra
good dealership.. where are they at?

and good luck on getting your baby back in working order with a new rearend

The dealership is Russ Milne Ford. They are located in Macomb, right on Hall road (M-59) and Gratiot.

Good news, she's home safe and sound. She runs like a champ, launches like a rocket, and growls like an angry lion! You should hear her at 6000 rpms, then slammed into second, she barks and goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She gets her new shoes tomorrow morning. I went with Chrome 2000+ Saleen 18x9 up front and 18x10.5 out back. They will be wrapped in Falken 265-35-18 (front) and 285-35-18 (rear). Should be pretty sexing. Oh yeah, I pick up her Eibach Sportlines tomorrow too. They get put on next week some time. Pix soon to con!

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Awesome to hear, Al! Glad it all worked out ok for you, I know it's been a long time for you waiting for something nice and fast.

Now get some pics :)

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
Hells yes! Some pix will be up Sunday, and I have found a buddy of mine with unlimited bandwidth to host the short vids I will be taking. HEHEHE

Users who are viewing this thread